Regenerative Agriculture

AngelaOston
AngelaOston Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

Here’s a fantastic talk by Gabe Brown, I came across. How he built biomass and micro fungi with cover crops and no methods that can be used in arge or small parcels of land.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9yPjoh9YJMk

Comments

• tomandcara
    tomandcara Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭

You are correct @AngelaOston. This is a fantastic video. We live on a small suburban lot, so I won't be able to incorporate the livestock aspect of Gabe Browns 5 key points of regenerative agriculture, but I am definitely going to start increasing the number of species of plants in my cover crops. Thank you so much for posting this mind/life expanding video.

• flowerpower *
    flowerpower * Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

@AngelaOston I recently watched a wonderful video on gardening which included the use of activated bio-char (specially made charcoal charged up with minerals). That video also said that compost was a good additive to heavy clay soil, not sand like I had previously thought.

• Suburban Pioneer
    Suburban Pioneer Posts: 339 ✭✭✭

My understanding is that if you add sand to clay soil, or clay to sandy soil, you'll end up with cement! Compost, on the other hand, breaks up clay soil and adds bulk, nutrients and water holding capacity to sandy soil. Regardless of your type of soil, biochar will provide a permanent home to billions of bacteria, which will digest organic matter and pump nutrients into the soil in perpetuity.

• Acequiamadre
    Acequiamadre Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

Inspired to make some biochar. Important to soak in compost water prior to "activate it"

Has anyone made their own biochar?