Banana Butter Pecan almost non-dairy ice cream

blevinandwomba
blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

I apologize for the cumbersome title.

I am sensitive to dairy, so I have been making coconut milk ice creams for a few years now, with varying success. I made this a few weeks ago, and I thought it was my best ice cream ever. The texture was quite nice, and the flavor was a mellow banana/vanilla flavor with a hint of butteryness. If you are wondering about the "almost non-dairy", this does contain butter. You might be able to toast the pecans in oil, or simply dry roast them, but I have not tried it.

Banana Butter Pecan Icecream

5 bananas

6 c. coconut cream ( I use Aroy-d- no additives and a good value for the price.)

½ c. coconut sugar

1/4-1/3 c. honey

1 ½ tsp. Vanilla extract

¾ tsp. Almond extract

¾ tsp. Salt

1 cup pecans, rough chopped

butter

Brown pecans in butter in a skillet for about 5 minutes. Scrape pecans and butter into a dish and set aside to cool. Brown 1 banana in 1 tbs. Butter in the skillet, cooking just until brown. Mash and chill. Mash and measure both brown and fresh bananas; should equal 2 c. mash. Blend remaining ingredients, adding about a 1/3 of the pecans before putting in the icecream maker. Add the remainder after churning.

Notes: I think I used 3 tbs. of butter altogether. I used 2 tbs. of butter for the pecans. I started browning the butter before I added the nuts; that meant that the butter was starting to burn by the time they were done, so I poured most of it off. I would still use 3 tbs. of butter next time, I just would add the pecans sooner. It could have used a little more butter flavor.

Comments

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blevinandwomba I will be trying this as soon as possible. Sounds wonderful!

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

@Denise Grant I think you'll really like it. I don't like commercial butter pecan ice cream, because the pecan bits are bland and soggy- I always feel like the ice cream would be better off without them! When you make your own, the pecans keep their toasty flavor and tender crisp texture. The little pieces made me think of toffee bits.