How do you keep animals water buckets from freezing?
Looking for ideas on how you all keep water from freezing.
No electric to the barn, chicken coops area. So off grid ideas, please.
If it gets really cold the water in the goats barn will freeze, if its' mild sitting the buckets inside in a pile of hay helps, but when it gets into the teens and down, they freeze even there.
Have rubber buckets and that helps to break the ice if it's not thick.
Last year I tried wrapping the buckets in the wool from sheep shearing - it didn't keep the buckets from freezing.
Every year I've tried new ideas - it gets old quick when you have to carry water, ok not carry we have a sled with milk crates tied on, but you get the idea.
Also looking for ideas to keep the big tanks 250 gal. from freezing, again non electric ideas please.
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 35 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 356 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 530 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter