Ways to speed up daily meals
The way I have done bread in the past since I work an odd and changing schedule was to use the "Artisan bread in 5 minutes a day" recipes. Basically you are making the dough in advance and the dough stays in the fridge. When you want bread you take out enough for a loaf or two. Shape it quickly. Let it rise and bake. It worked well for us and there are recipes for all kinds of breads, rolls, dessert doughs etc.
Another idea for speeding up cooking routines is the freezer cooking methods for crockpot meals where you prep ingredients for multiple recipes and batches. Divide each into meal sizes into ziplock bags or other containers and put in freezer. They you just pull whichever you want, put it in the crockpot and go about your day. When your done, your meal is ready or almost ready.
Another way I love is my canning. I often can individual ingrediets as well as meals such as soups, stews or whatever. Then if I need a quick meal I can use the same individual jars for several different meals. A jar each of beef, carrots, potatoes, beef broth, etc. Heat them all up together, thicken the sauce and you have stew, don't thicken but add corn and green beans or whatever veggies you like and you have soup. Use the beef and add BBQ sauce and you have sandwiches, use the beef and the broth thicken and you can have been over noodle, rice or potatoes and heat your veggie on the side, etc.
Does anyone else have ideas for our busy lives that allow us to still have great meals on busy days?
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 35 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 355 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 530 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter