Learn Skills for Winter Emergencies Now

silvertipgrizz
silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in DIY Tutorials

Learn as much as you can now to help you thrive in the different faces of an emergency.

Comments

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

What really surprised me is NOT to see a battery and inverter set-up. They're easy, plentiful and not hard to set up. I use a deep cycle marine battery and inverter when I go camping to power my CPAP. It lasted for 6 out of 7 days when hooked up with a small lamp, my CPAP and still had some juice to charge my cell phone. I always take 2 batteries with me, just in case. You, of course, shut off the inverter when not in use.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

WE have quite a few electical outages where we live they can take days or even weeks to get fixed. And for some reason they have been worse in the last few years. summwer ias not a big deal but winter, its a struggle!

We have survived without a generator so far but I think I am adding it to the "must have " list for this year.

@RustBeltCowgirl I think I will try yout battery idea first before spending big bucks!

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did see a bicycle operated generator article too. I will have to look at that better too. I have a spare bicycle or two around here

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Good suggestions in the video. Hypo- and hyper-thermia are concerns in extreme temperatures. Keeping hydrated in winter is just as important as summer.

The article about cooking indoors has some very good tips, particularly about carbon monoxide. We have had a number of very serious, some fatal incidents of CO poisoning in our province over the last couple of years. Please be careful if using an alternative fuel source.

Personally, I wouldn't use anything but denatured alcohol in an alcohol burner. Everclear is dangerous and can be explosive, not to mention the cost. I've never tried to burn isopropyl alcohol before.

I think the big take-aways from these types of articles and instructional videos is GET PREPARED NOW. Don't wait until there is a storm in the forecast. Have all of your supplies ready at the beginning of winter. Know how to use your equipment. And don't forget boredom items. Have some books or board games or other forms of entertainment on hand. Withdrawal from electronics can be difficult for some. :) Have a safe winter, everyone. And an enjoyable summer for those south of the equator.

• Acequiamadre
    Acequiamadre Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

We just got 8" of snow--and our furnace went out. Happy to have wood burning fireplaces as backup.

I remember from Search and Rescue days that most hypothermia happens at about 50 degrees.

I like how the video included the camping gear that many of us have around. I think a water purifier is important to have in one's stock as well for emergencies. I now have an excuse to stock up on snickers....

I like the individual action plan is key. Thanks for posting.

• RustBeltCowgirl

@Denise Grant Here's a good article to start explaining.

Just as an extra comment, it's not many steps from here into using solar.

• RustBeltCowgirl

How about being able to cook over a fire pit outside?

Here's some dutch oven/camping ideas