What is this bird?

Neighbor found it dead by his barn today. Nothing I am familiar with. It has red sandy clay on it's breast so that isn't a natural color for it. It is just a bit bigger than a pileated woodpecker.

Comments

• dottile46
    dottile46 Posts: 437 ✭✭✭

A little better pic of it's head.

• Jack_Went_Splat
    Jack_Went_Splat Posts: 59 ✭✭✭

There are many different species of birds. This website may help you identify this poor creature. https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/

It can be helpful to know where, as in geographical area, this bird was found, too.

• MaryRowe
    MaryRowe Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭

Have you tried American coot? The foot is distinctive, I don't know of any birds but coots that have feet like that, and overall, the body looks like the American coot.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

I would say it might be a coot. Yes they have interesting feet.

I think it would wise to be careful in handling this dead bird. There are some dangerous diseases that might be at play if this bird dropped out of the sky into a barn yard. If it had been killed by a predator, it wouldn't be in the barn yard. Maybe contact you local wildlife experts.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

My thoughts were also a coot. The feet, beak & body look right.

• dottile46
    dottile46 Posts: 437 ✭✭✭

And the answer is....Conservation Department says it is a coot. They are native to Missouri, a marsh bird, good to eat. (He didn't eat it.)

I've lived in MO 53 years and this is the first one I've seen. Thanks everyone!