Seed addicted Who Me?

Monek Marie
Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once the crops have died down and the yard work has been started or finished I start collecting seeds for trading or looking at seed catalogs.

At this tiem of year and ther next month or so there is no bigger joy than to swap with a friend or receive seeds in the mail.

I know I am addicted as when tehr seeds arrive I have to open them and look at them. Why. I know what a carrot seed looks like but it drives me crazy ultil I take a peek. I usually have to look at ther seed package I received several times. As I sort them and file them ( yes - i have enough seed I have to file them to keep them in order) I have to look at them again.

And yes, I have awoke in the morning to find a stray pack of seeds in my bed. Must be the cat did that....

Comments

• Monek Marie

I have been out this week collecting seeds from gardens and anywhere else I can. I save more than I need to share with others and I never know what someone else might be looking for so all seeds are game

I do have to find more milkweed seeds. I like to share those and just scatter them in places I think they might take

• Monek Marie

I just received a new catalog (to me) from Kitazawa Seed company, Its Asian vegetable seeds. It has really fascinating seeds. They have Specialty Chef garden sets and recipes in the back

They have bulk seeds and I might on these to see if they have good microgreen seeds. I am looking for a good source of microgreen seeds.

Here's a ink if you would like to take a look. https://www.kitazawaseed.com/

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭

I like browsing seed catalogues. I get excited when a new one comes in the mail :). My husband bought me a survival seed vault for my birthday last year. That was a blessing.

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm also a seed addict. My husband always laughs at how excited I get when seed catalogs arrive. I will definitely be looking into Asian vegetable seeds. @Denise Grant thank you for sharing your find.

Also may I add, I love being in this community where people understand my attraction to seeds and all the other subjects we discuss. No one is my day to day life shares my interest.

You all are my support group! ❤

• Monek Marie

@Michelle D I was amazed at the interesting veggie varieties offered. The seed packets are kind of expensive but they have a ton of seeds in each. These could easily be shared.

LOL, I am so seed addicted. I try not to look at all the seed catalogs and every seed counter in the store but.... And they alwasy put the seed rack by the checkout counter. I make it the entire way through the store then get get hit right at the register

I am also interested in bulk seeds for micro greens and since they are guaranteed GMO free I plan to look in to this too.

I learn so much here, its just amazing

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am a seed addict too! My go to catalogs are Baker's Creek, Botanical Interest, Seeds for Generations and for medicinal herbs MRH!

• Monek Marie

@Lisa K

Botanical interests is one of my favs too.

I went to an amish greenhouse last year. Thye had fantastic plant prices and a full box of botanical seed packets. 50cents a pack, Umm... I bought 50.00 worth. Really cool seeds!~

• Monek Marie

It is with a heavy heart I must announce that two more (very interesting) seed catalogs came in the mail today. It looks like the class I was taking on line will have to take a back seat tonight and maybe tomorrow.

I also gave my 8 year old nephew a seed catalog to look at this afternoon. He wants his own garden this summer.

image from gardenbloggersfling

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

I'm as bad about my seed stash as I am about my yarn stash (okay, maybe worse lol.) My daughter laughs at me when I'm going through the catalogues and especially my child-like joy when the seeds arrive. I'm okay with that 😂

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

I am excitedly anticipating the arrival of my seeds from True Leaf Market!

• Monek Marie

@MaryRowe I am going to havwe to break down and order from them. I have really tired to curb buying seeds but its almost impossible. I really like some of their seed selections. And did you see their gourds??? and that one melon...sigh

• MaryRowe
    MaryRowe Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭

@Denise Grant --Oh I know! And those "chef specialty gardens" are just too intriguing, especially the "favorite pickling garden." But I'm too far along with my planning to fit in something that size this year, Next year, however..... But I'm never really happy unless I have a couple things growing I never heard of before, and there is too much temptation here. Baker's Creek carries one variety of edible chrysanthemum, which I really love. But Kitazawa has that one plus three others!

• Monek Marie

@MaryRowe Yes, I had to drool on the "chef specialty gardens."pages.

Edible chrysanthemums? Oh the pain! Help me!

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't call it an addiction per say (my family and friends disagree with me of course). Although here is baker creeks seed catalog for anyone that doesn't have it yet: https://www.rareseeds.com/requestcat/catalog

P.S. @Denise Grant I did not try to resist and immediately visited their site :)

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always seem to buy more seeds than I have room to plant. Maybe one indicator of seed addiction is the need to keep expanding the garden to make room for them all!

• Jens the Beekeeper
    Jens the Beekeeper Posts: 651 admin

@Denise Grant sounds like me unless I have to blame the dog as no cat around...

• Monek Marie

Two more large seed catalogs came today, Johnnys and Territorial, I better hurry up and get the animals done so I can curl up on the couch with catalog and pen in hand.

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've not heard of 2 of the catalogs that you mentioned @Lisa K, the Botanical Interest and the medicinal herbs MRH. Do you know their web addresses, so that I can check them out too please?

I've been introduced to so many new seed companies from everyone here at TGN and I'm afraid you all have a fellow addict.😁

• MaryRowe
    MaryRowe Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭

@JennyT Always great to find a fellow seed addict! We are terrible about enabling and encouraging one another in our addiction aren't we! Seeds are just too much fun. One other irresistible medicinal seeds co. is

...but there are other good companies too....Too many of them....😜

• lewis.mary.e
    lewis.mary.e Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

Seed catalogs give me hope. And they are so beautiful!

• Monek Marie

I was in three stores today and while in two, someone put seeds and pots in my cart! I know, you turn your back for just one second and look what happens.

Well, what Was I to do? Take them out and force some store employee to restock them? I did the only thing I could, I bought them.

Truthfully, most of the seeds are for my nephew. We are celebrating his birthday this weekend. Thye did have these cute theme garden pots and I bought a few of those for him - mainly herbs as they can be started now.

This is a really tough time to get through stores, unless you wear blinders. Whoa is me when they start putting out mini shrubs in Tractor Supply

• gardneto76
    gardneto76 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭

I am not allowed to keep the seed catalogs that come 🤣 because they have them online every day and I am constantly getting emails about the newest seeds. When they arrive I go through them, order what I want, then recycle them. I really just love all the pretty pictures and have already ordered some seeds through their website before the catalogs even arrived 🤣, but he doesn’t know and isn’t on here to bust me. I seriously do have a seed addiction problem though as I have come to realize I have more seeds for some things than I could plant in 3 years worth of gardens. I have organized my seeds and have a list so now I check that prior to placing any order, just in case I already have some of what I want. I still look at all the amazing seed packets at the store in case something is new, but I also have that list on my phone. Willpower is a brat and I will learn to keep my seed addiction under control before my stash becomes a horde. Maybe it’s to late. 😬

• gardneto76
    gardneto76 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭

@Denise Grant if all of your seeds fit on your bed spread out your fine. I only have 2 drawers full 🤣

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have my seeds divided up into seeds I have gathered myself, Herbs, Medicinal Herbs, Cool Weather Vegetables, Warm Weather Vegetables unopened and Warm Weather Vegetables opened. I also have some seeds in a container that are to be planted next and seeds for sprouting which are in the kitchen!