Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

Foraging for mushrooms — The Grow Network Community
You grow through consistency

- Gary Vaynerchuk

Foraging for mushrooms

Denise GrantDenise Grant Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Mycology

I do want to grow my own mushrooms but I would also like to forage for mushrooms too.

Do we have mushroom foragers here or good links to help with a new adventure?

Comments

• kala.nelsonkala.nelson Posts: 1 ✭✭✭

Following 👍🏻

• toreytorey Posts: 2,380 admin

@kala.nelson Welcome to TGN's forum.

This is a link to a Chef who does foraging tours, including mushrooms, in the Vancouver, Canada area. Due to COVID, she is doing some online virtual foraging tours. She also has a blog with wild edible recipes. https://www.swallowtail.ca/

• judsoncarroll4judsoncarroll4 Posts: 3,035 admin

Sure! What do you need to know? They say there are old mushroom hunters and bold mushroom hunters, but few who are old and bold. I began around age 15... and I ain't dead yet at 43!

• Denise GrantDenise Grant Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭

I know three mushroom and pick those but I want to be able to identify more.

@judsoncarroll4 I love foraging so I want to be able to do that (I imagine the land I have would be great to find some or encourage more to grow )

So I guess I want good mushroom id sites and info on how to grow them on your land or indoors

@kala.nelson great link. TY

I just signed up for the free foraging series on the swallowtail site! Looks great

• judsoncarroll4judsoncarroll4 Posts: 3,035 admin

Well, first I have to recommend finding a local to learn from. Well, good luck with that. I never did. The key to identifying any plant or fungus is to use keys. Any good book will have keys. It is a systematic approach. What is the color? What is the texture? Where does it grow/what does it grow on? Are there gills? Are they attached? Etc. That is why the classic book, Mushrooms Demystified is still a classic, for everyone.. not just those on the west coast, even though it is a book written for folks out west. You need a good local field guide and a generalist book like 100 Edible Mushrooms. And yes, if you can learn to identify mushrooms by spore print (which are like fingerprints, you'll probably never go wrong. But, an hour in the woods is worth 10 in the library. I would recommend learning the poisonous mushrooms in your area first, so you can avoid them. Others may not be particularly tasty, but if they don't kill you, you can record in your little notebook every feature, and so... learn.

I am lucky to have the local audubon within walking distance and I know they have several people who hunt mushrooms. I will try to connect with one of them.

Yes, one on one time with someone who has knowledge is the best way to go , if you can.

Ill look those books up @judsoncarroll4

• toreytorey Posts: 2,380 admin

@Denise Grant I'm glad you liked the Swallowtail site.

This is a link to a downloadable, interactive mushroom identification program. It is about mushrooms of the PNW but a lot of the species can be found across North America. It lists over 4000 species with lots of pics; based on David Arora's work. You don't need to be online to use it so it is a great tool to have on a pad that you can take foraging with you. http://www.svims.ca/council/matchmaker.htm