Winter vermicomposting

Steve Churchill,Urban Worm Co, just posted a very good article about methods of keeping your worm bins warm in winter.

He also includes a link in this article to a blog by Bentley Christie who is doing some awesome outdoor vermicomposting all through the winter in Ontario. Good stuff--makes my little indoor worm bins look pitiful, and I really want to try this!

Comments

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been putting my worm bins in the basement. This year I had planned to put them in ther greenhouse that is just going up (yes, wait until it snows for the first time!!!)

But I like experimenting too so I think I'll grab a few ides from here. Thanks for sharing.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep meaning to try vermicomposting, but never seem to get around to getting started. You really can't get worms shipped to you in winter conditions without killing them, so you have to plan in the warm weather season, and I'm usually too busy gardening then. :-)

Keep the information coming. It will encourage more of us to try worms ourselves.

• Angel
    Angel Posts: 61 ✭✭✭

@VermontCathy , if you have a bait store near you, try there for red wigglers. They are the vermicomposting worms.

• Hassena
    Hassena Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

Hey y'all, worms are amazing. They produce thier own antifreeze via a special protein.

@VermontCathy check out http://www.findworms.com/

They list worms for sale around the world. :)

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hassena You can buy worms right here in Vermont! But shipping them in cold weather is likely to lead to them dying in transit.

Getting a small worm farm started is on my list of things to do in the spring.

• annflancan
    annflancan Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

Uncle Jim's Worm Farm ships year round.

https://unclejimswormfarm.com

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

I bought my worms from Uncle Jim's. They were slow to ship and I was eager to get started so I bought a small amount of red wigglers from walmart.