Granola How do you make it?

dipat2005
dipat2005 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭✭

I am looking for ideas in making Granola with or without oats. I need to eat more fiber and oats doesn't really like me. Does anyone have suggestions of other things I could use besides oats for the fiber?

Tagged:

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

Instead of oat flakes you could try Rye flakes, Wheat flakes, Triticale flakes, Kamut flakes, Spelt flakes and/or Buckwheat Groats. I have used all of these in varying combinations. I also add Sunflower seeds, Pumpkin seeds, Sesame seeds, Quinoa and Millet as well as an assortment of coconut, nuts and dried fruits.

• MaryRowe
    MaryRowe Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭

I have tried a couple flavors of a commercial grain-free granola, just out of curiosity-- a variety of slivered and chopped nuts, seeds, flaked coconut and dried fruit the main components. Was okay, but I still like my homemade better of course. Can't think of any more ingredients to add to the inclusive list above (except for the cinnamon, ginger, and/or other spices), but I always do use a combination of cereal flakes, not just oats, for the extra flavor they give.

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oats aren't my friend, either. I use nuts, seeds, and dried fruit, then for the fiber, flax seeds. I add the dried fruit after the granola is toasted and the oven is off. The heat from the toasted granola softens the fruit without turning it into hard knots. My recipe is going in my next book project:)

I wonder if quinoa flakes would be good.

• dipat2005

@MaryRowe and @Tave thank you for the additional ideas. I am having some health issues right now and may have to revisit this as winter goes along. I thought I would also use some of the strawberries i dried for some of the fruit. I like your idea of adding the fruit after the oven is off. I have done that before and it tasted even better.

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

You can also make a grain-free granola on the stovetop. I used to do this all the time. I'd heat coconut oil in a pan, toss in coconut, nuts and seeds, and cook until browned and crispy, stirring frequently. Then I'd turn off the heat and sprinkle in salt and raw sugar and any dried fruit or spices. Very fast and easy

• gardneto76
    gardneto76 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭

I do a low carb granola, but the link isn’t working right now. It is basically, slivered almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, coconut sliced, may even have raisins, then topped with some honey, a tiny bit of oil, and any spices you like mixed in. Everything is stored together then baked in the oven. It’s pretty easy to make and very flexible in what you add to it.

• dipat2005

Thank you for the grain free and low carb granola. I really appreciate it. I actually had never thought about a grain free granola!