Victorian Farm

tilathehunn
tilathehunn Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

I have been watching PBS series"Victorian Farm" on Amazon Prime. This show is fascinating...for some probably not since it is all about farming and homesteading and so many here already live the life. This program is about 3 people, i believe some type of academics, farming as they did back at the turn of the last century. These people are being followed for a year. This is a reality show, but not like those ones that sensationalize. If you are looking for something to watch check it out, it will be worth your time.

Comments

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll check it out. I have Prime, but have trouble fining good shows to watch.

• Gail H
    Gail H Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭

@tilathehunn I just love Victorian Farm! I watched it on YouTube quite a while ago. I liked it much better than Edwardian Farm, which seemed a bit sad to me. In Victorian Farm, the industry was for the benefit of the household. By the Edwardian era, the good food was being shipped off the farm and the farm household ate bread and jam. I remember Ruth saying something along the lines of, "We can buy a lot of sugar for what we'll sell that hog for. We'll just eat bread and jam." It left quite an impression on me.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

Yes, we've watched the show a couple of times already. It is amazing the knowledge that has been discarded & mostly lost over such a short period of time.

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

We've watched it too, VERY interesting!

• lewis.mary.e
    lewis.mary.e Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

We loved Victorian Farm! I think there's also Edwardian Farm, as well.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

There are a couple of others as well. The Victorian Kitchen with the same character actors and The Victorian Kitchen Garden which is a slightly different program.

• Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

I watched the first few episodes today! So much fun. Thanks for posting.

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

We have watched most of the documentaries in these series and love them. They used to be our treat for when we were sick--we would cozy up on the couch and watch and call it our learning for the day. Sometimes I think those sick days may have been more productive than most of our homeschooling days.

We don't currently have Netflix, but it would be worth getting it again just to rewatch.

• Acequiamadre
    Acequiamadre Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

Can't wait to check it out. Maybe I can sneak it in after the Mandalorian and get my kids into it as well....

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

Or, if you want medieval, here's a link to Secrets of the Castle about building a medieval castle 13th century style. Five glorious hours: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL72jhKwankOiwI5zt6lC3eQtsQDxOaN_g