Awesome Comfrey

Comments

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

It is an awesome plant. There was a link that you may have posted some time ago about liquid fertiliser made from lucerne (alfalfa) molasses and wood ash, I think called tricanthos? I’ve made that twice now and was just about to make another brew using comfrey leaves, when I came across this post, so I will definitely do this in the next few days. Thanks for posting.

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

We have been growing comfrey and using it. My husband liquified it this year for plant food. The plan is to grow it to sell next year. I mean, have you seen the price of plant food? Ouch!

We would harvest it and in about two weeks it was ready to harvest again. Amazing plant!

• Hassena
    Hassena Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

Comfrey is truly an amazing plant. We grow it in a few of our beds as a fertilizer sink. We dug a small trench on the uphill side of the terrace.

In the trench we planted a row of comfrey. The main part of the bed is filled with asparagus and strawberries. And since comfrey doesn't mind wet soil it should flourish and help maintain adequate soil moisture.

We harvest it for compost tea and salves.

I hear chickens like to eat it. Hopefully next year we will have enough for them too.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jodienancarrow I did post that and I ordered some comfrey seed midseason and will plant it in the spring, and gonna experiment planting some in the soil in the next couple of weeks and see if it will surprise me in early spring with early plants..we'll see..

too many 'ands' I know...

• Melissa Swartz
    Melissa Swartz Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

I have been using comfrey water as fertilizer for several years and it is fantastic. Next year I will add nettles. @silvertipgrizz Thanks for sharing.

• Acequiamadre
    Acequiamadre Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

I use Comfrey as part of my compost tea recipe. I really like the trench idea as well.

My next plan is to grow from seed and add around the base of some of our trees.

• annflancan
    annflancan Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

Just learning the benefits of comfrey and have decided to bring it into my garden.