Horse chestnuts - one more alternative to washing powder

jowitt.europe
jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin
edited November 2020 in DIY Tutorials

Horse chestnuts - one more alternative to washing powder 

Since last year I am intensively trying out different natural alternatives to chemical washing and cleaning products. And this is one year already that I have not used any chemical washing powder or liquid or tabs. This is my contribution to cleaner nature. And our washing is clean. And... I believe that my skin is much better this year. 

Now I am experimenting with horse chestnuts (Aesculus hippocastanum). 

I am glad I have a reason for collecting chestnuts. I have always collected them as a child. They are so beautiful to me. Now I collect them for a purpose - I use them for laundry.

I chop chestnuts, dry them and store in a tightly closed jar.

For washing I soak 3 tablespoons of dried chestnuts with 300 ml boiling water and leave for 30 minutes to soak. I pour the strained liquid into the washing machine. The rest can still be used twice: soaking for other washings.

My friend does it a bit differently. She puts a handful of dried chestnuts into a blender, soaks with half a Liter of hot water. Blends for 30 seconds, strains and pours the liquid into the washing machine. 

Now I have three possible alternatives for washing naturally: ivy leaves (hedera), soapwort (saponaria officinalis) and horse chestnuts (Aesculus hippocastanum).

Comments