Ever had socca?

blevinandwomba
blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

I tried it for the first time today. It's an easy and delicious chickpea flour flatbread- gluten-free and vegan. This is the recipe I followed, with a couple of changes

I made my batter the night before, adding some dried rosemary and pepper. I put the batter in the fridge, but I took it out an hour before baking. Based on comments from another recipe, I thinly sliced some red onion and let it cook in the pan with some coconut oil while it preheated, for about five minutes. Then I took the pan out of the oven, put a few tomato slices on the onions, and poured the socca batter.

Flatbread might not be quite the right description, as it's a bit creamy in the middle- reminds me a little of an omelet. Really delicious and well-worth trying.

Comments

• SherryA
    SherryA Posts: 314 ✭✭✭

I will definitely try that! I can't have gluten, and many kinds of gluten free flour are lacking in nutrients. This looks like a great alternative!

• happy-trails
    happy-trails Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

blevinandwomba, Wow! How did you hear about Socca to begin with? I have never heard of it. Sounds delicious! Thank you so much for sharing. I may attempt this recipe the next time I make Indian butter chicken. =)

SherryA have you tried einkorn flour or a true fermented sourdough bread, made with an ancient flour (einkorn, kamut, farro, spelt, emmer)? I have been able to feed these to my gluten-intolerant friends with no problem at all. Many ancient grains have more minerals intact as well. I use Jovial einkorn flour, as my staple all purpose flour.... the owner of the business (Jovial) is a woman who started the company because her daughter could not tolerate gluten. Now her daughter can eat breads, pasta, etc. that are made with einkorn flour. It is one of the only wheats never hybridized to have such insane, ungodly levels of gluten. It has a tiny inconsequential amount of gluten ppm - parts per million (the way God created it). The problem is the way the current industry is breeding the wheat to have sooo much gluten - that is the reason why in recent times more and more people are suddenly "gluten intolerant," when really it's just intolerance to the conventional/modern wheat's manipulated gluten levels, including many organic flours. Our bodies were not created to process so much gluten all at once! I hope this helps somehow. =)

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blevinandwomba Thanks! I have chickpea flour that my daughter used to make cookies out of. She's at college now so I think I'll try this recipe!

@happy-trails I''ve been using Einkron flour to make sourdough bread and pizza dough for a couple years now. I read that it doesn't affect blood sugar the way regular flour does which is why I started using it. It's amazing that so many people bake with it that there was a shortage for a while during this pandemic!

• Wendy
    Wendy Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

This recipe is delicious! I've been making this for years and my entire family enjoys it, especially the two that are gluten free. My granddaughter thinks this is the best bread ever.

• ltwickey
    ltwickey Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

Sounds so yummy!! Going to give it a try and then send to my daughter for her husband who has recently been diagnosed with gluten allergy!

Thank you for posting!