You can grow vegetables anywhere
Here's a picture of Red Giant Mustard growing in a crack between the concrete garage floor and the asphalt driveway. I must have dropped some seeds there when carrying the mustard plants into the garage this fall to dry.
This picture was takens after at least four frosts, and 4 inches of snowfall that melted the next day.
Closer up view:
If mustard will grow in a narrow crack with lousy clay soil under the concrete and asphalt, it will grow just about anywhere.
What other plants will grow in extremely unfavorable conditions?
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 56 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 341 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 452 Current Events & Breaking News
- 47 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.3K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 509 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 38 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 517 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 391 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 103 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter