Salad dressings

Monek Marie
Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have a favorite salad dressing recipe to share?

I just cannot use any of the premixed dressing they make. Thye have no taste and I guess I taste the chemicals

This will be the winter of new and exciting salads so I want something worthy of those fresh greens

Tagged:

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,632 admin

I just posted a comment in the Maybe I found the "cure to the common cold"? discussion about a vinegar based bitters by Rosalee de la Foret. It makes a great base for a salad dressing. Add your choice of oil and a bit more sweetener and some more savoury herbs if desired (oregano, sage, thyme, etc.). https://www.herbalremediesadvice.org/digestive-bitters.html There are quite a few vinegar-based bitters recipes that would make good dressing bases.

I make quite a few fruit based vinegars as I get fresh fruit through out the season. Elderberry vinegar is a good one to help give that immune boost. I add fresh garlic and a bit of lemon juice when using it for a salad dressing base. So blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, saskatoons (aka service berries), hawthorn berries, huckleberries, etc., etc. So many choices.

Herbal infused vinegars. Tarragon vinegar is a great digestive aid so a good one to use as a base. Or make a blend of Italian type herbs. That will make a good base for pasta or bean salads. A mint vinegar with a bit of sweetener is nice on a fruit salad.

I can't remember where I found this recipe. Possibly a raw food class I attended.

Creamy Dill Dressing

½ cup raw cashews

⅓ cup + 2 tablespoons water

1 clove garlic

½ teaspoon sea salt

2 tablespoons fresh dill

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Add all of the ingredients to a food processor. Process until smooth.

• Wendy
    Wendy Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

I love flavored vinegar and oil on my salads, sometimes a creamy dressing.

Basic Vinegrette

1 tbsp lemon/lime juice

1 tbsp flavored vinegar

2 tbsp olive oil

2 tbsp fresh chopped basil, oregano, dill, and/or parsley

or 1 tbsp dried herbs

Shake well before serving.

Creamy Herb Dressing

1 tbsp lemon juice

1 tbsp water

2 tbsp olive oil

1/4 cup chickpeas

1/2 tsp dried sage

1/2 tsp dried oregano

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1/4 tsp freshly ground peppercorns

Add all ingredients to blender or food processor, and process until smooth.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,513 admin

Well, I don't often use a recipe for salad dressings, but I really have enjoyed using red wine vinegar & oil as a base. I add seasonings as I feel like putting them in.

Experimentation is the best!

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,456 admin

Crush a clove of garlic in a big salad bowl, with some salt and a fork. Make a paste of it. Add some olive oil and whisk in an egg yolk or two.... add a little dry mustard, some good wine vinegar, parsley, black pepper and a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce.. this is a ceasar/mayo... toss with fresh salad, top with parm.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

I press a clove of garlic and add that to a bottle with equal amounts of apple cider vinegar & olive oil. Then, I add a good squirt of mustard. Recently I've been using stone ground mustard. Then, I add onion powder, a pinch of salt, pepper, oregano, & basil. I don't really have a recipe. I just add things until it tastes the way I want it.

• annflancan
    annflancan Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

Before, when I used to buy my vegetable at the grocery store I had a refrigerator full of dressings but now that I grow my vegetables in my own yard I do not use dressing. I find that the veggies that I grow are so tasty that I no longer need or want to cover up the flavor. Store bought veggies often lack the flavor that home grown have and therefore often people want to add dressing for flavor. If anything, a little bit of avocado/olive oil and a dash of vinegar, salt and pepper.

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

@monica197 That is true about manufacturers watering down commercially-made vinegar. I tried some homemade wine vinegar, and it about took my breath away.

• flowerpower *
    flowerpower * Posts: 257 ✭✭✭

I have been on a salad kick. I am trying to eat a salad every meal, or at least twice a day. I believe that the dark green crunchy vegatables will supply me with a precious living water and boost my health. "Eat your veggies." :)

I have the salad bar type setup where I have a variety of items in the fridge and in supply and make up the bowl from whim each time. The items are: romaine lettuce heads; organic mixed baby greens; cucumber; celery; carrot; red cabbage; oily things like: avocado, walnut halves, sunflower seeds; frozen cooked and seasoned garbanzo beans that I crisp up in the frying pan; hard boiled eggs; spicy and tangy things like red onions, fresh garlic, salt, spices. Olives and pickles or chunks of cheese would be good too.

I start with a base of fresh dark green leaves, and vary the rest of the salad each time. I chop up a few other items, sprinkle on seeds, salt and spice like basil, or tumeric and mustard. I add some beans or hard boiled egg slices for protein. I add a cap full (1 or 2 teaspoons) of organic apple cider vinegar and a good drizzle of organic olive oil or flax seed oil from the freezer. I do not accompany the salad with any wheat product since I am avoiding those, but sometimes add a bowl of steamed browned rice. (Check out the Arsenic reduction rice cooking methods.)

The ACV, oil, and spices are like the salad dressing. The key here is not to make the same salad each time, varying it is fun. Also crunchy seeds and flax seed oil make the salads delicious.

• Monek Marie

Salad dressing prices were memntioned in ther thread "caught in the act." I m,uch prefer a homemade dressing. It tastes better and is more chemical free. There are some great ideas above.

I am also looking for a Onion dressing recipe>doeas anyone have one?

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

When I was working, I would often just take some plain yogurt or avocados or sauerkraut to put on my salads. I also like some lemon juice on a salad.

• elwell2
    elwell2 Posts: 13

These are such great ideas for salad dressings. I will have to try some of them

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@Monek Marie my go to for salad dressing. Medium size jar, 1/2 fill with olive oil, 1/4 ACV, generous tablespoon of Dijon mustard, same of honey. Shake vigorously. Can add other tasty things like garlic, herbs etc. Haven’t bought a supermarket dressing for over 5 years.

• Monek Marie

The store bought dressing all taste the same and have no flavor.

This sounds great I will try it later. Thanks@JodieDownUnder

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭✭

I used to make salad dressing. These days I am trying to catch up to my beet green crop which has overwintered well. Even during the freeze nothing affected it. In fact I need to go out today at some point and harvest again.

It froze again overnight-just a light freeze.

Thanks for the Salad dressing recipes.

This Week's Leaders