Thinking ahead to next year's garden

2»

Comments

• Sharie
    Sharie Posts: 276 ✭✭✭

I got my order in! It's going to be one massive experiment. Python beans, blue and black tomatoes.....this is going to be FUN! So many different varieties and veggies I've never heard of till now. In my climate near the equator but in the mountains everything grows like mad except veggies which tend to get eaten by various insects and caterpillars so I hope we can create some new food options. Fast growth is so important with short daylight hours.

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

For Roses, try Antique Rose Emporium. They specialize in "found" roses, such as roses from old abandoned homesteads. Group is called the Texas Rose Rustlers.

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RustBeltCowgirl Thank you for the link. I had heard of this years ago while reading but couldn't remember the name. So happy to know how to find them again.😁

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just ordered most of the seeds I want. A friend that is in Canada right now is going to bring them back for me. Happy, happy!

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nancy Carter "When do you plan to start growing next years garden? I started last years in March, I'm thinking of starting earlier this year."

When you say, "start growing next year's garden," do you mean starting transplants inside or direct seeding outside? You'll normally start some indoor transplants first.

My earliest outdoor seeding theoretically at the beginning of April, counting back the recommended number of weeks from last frost. But in practice, it's normally mid-April before the ground thaws enough to allow working the soil. In a really cold year, it may be late April before anything can go in the beds.

Indoor transplants may need to be started as early as January or February if you are doing frost tolerant crops and living in a moderate climate. Tomatoes and peppers are started later because they can't be set out until all danger of frost is past.

Your best bet is to keep good records of first and last frost actual dates at your location, when last snowfall occured, when the ground first thawed enough to be worked, etc. After about 3 years of doing this you'll be able to draw up a real-world customized planting calendar.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sharie "I got my order in! It's going to be one massive experiment. Python beans, blue and black tomatoes.....this is going to be FUN!"

It's always fun to experiment! Every year I try to grow a mix of known good producers and new never- varieties.

You are lucky to live down near the equator. Despite your insect problem, you can grow stuff that we poor sub-arctic growers never could. :-)

• Nancy Carter
    Nancy Carter Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

@VermontCathy I'm thinking of starting seeds indoors. Our last frost is mid May. I'm in North East Pennsylvania. I would like to do cold hardy crops in a small greenhouse in my basement.

• Sharie
    Sharie Posts: 276 ✭✭✭

I did my time lol! Not missing it one bit. It is taking me quite some time to adapt though. It's very different when you have consistent daylight hours all year long.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ask all your local friends if they have any herbs seeds left and if they grow roses and what kinds.

Most people if they have left over seeds are more than willing to trade , gift or swap for something. Plus they know about the veggie or herb and can share growing info

I think a shortage of seeds will be around for a year or two.

I am zone 5B. I gorw herbs on my windowsill all winter and have an aquaponic mini garden using an aquarium set up in the living room. It add beauty to ther room, fresh herbs and greens and makes a great nightlight

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sharie I did the same thing lots of new seeds I have not grown before but very excited!

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭

I grab seeds everywhere i go, forest, field, yards, putt putt golf course😊. Sometimes i don't know what they are- guess I'll get a surprise!

Rose hips are everywhere right now so I have a ton of rose seeds- thought about planting some and seeing what happens in the spring.

• marcy_northlightsfarm
    marcy_northlightsfarm Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

@torey Thanks for that link to Richters. I bought many varieties mail order from a well known herb seed company in the US and was disappointed that some varieties were not viable. So disappointing at the time. In fact one variety was lemon balm. I started a whole flat and nothing came up. Then I bought a packet of lemon balm seeds from a local store and started another flat and that one grew really well! I had other varieties where nothing grew as well. So learned that even though my source was recommended by many it wasn't always reliable. Always good to have additional sources for seeds.

• Nancy Carter
    Nancy Carter Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

@Denise Grant please tell me more about your aquaponics!

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nancy Carter

I'll work up some information this week and a supply list.

A small aquaponic system using a fish tank is fast and cheap if you find a used tank. Gold fish or Koi work the best for this system. The fish supply all the nutrients you need for the plants to thrive. Indoors you have better control over the temps. Goldfish or Loi an take a colder temperature if you live in a colder area. My one friend in Buffalo Ny had hias set up outdoors and that takes make care and equiptment. His plastic tore one night in a storm and by time his alarms went off and he got there he lost all his fish, but he used talapia - which is a fussier fish.

I alos do hydroponics. I started that first and branched into Aquaponics, mainly becuse I think aquaponics is cheaper.