I am obsessed with food...

2»

Comments

• Ruth Ann Reyes
    Ruth Ann Reyes Posts: 577 admin

Awww, thank you. Yes, I do have a partner. He's a lucky guy, aye?!

• Acequiamadre
    Acequiamadre Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

My ten-year daughter loves to cook. My 15 year-old son doesn't have a natural passion for it. However, no way am I gonna send a young man out in the world not knowing--or expecting--to cook and help prepare food. Every month he learns a new recipe so that by the time he leaves home he will have a rotation of good meals that he can cook for himself (or impress a girl). Lately he has been making the no-knead bread. He is pretty excited by this--and now he makes bread for the family a couple of times a week.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone should know how to cook, and I don't mean heat up frozen dinners. It is such a fundamental life skill.

Years ago I met a young female college professor who was raised by a feminist mother. Her mother wanted to be sure that her daughter didn't become a housewife, so she never taught her any cooking skills.

When I knew her, she was surprised and pleased to watching me making a sandwich, putting the lunchmeat, cheese, and lettuce on one side, then using a knife to spread mayonnaise on the other.

It had never occurred to her to spread the mayo on the other piece of bread. She had been spreading it on the lettuce and making a mess. No one had every told her or shown her differently.

And this was a bright woman with a serious science Ph.D. :-(

Teach your children to cook and prepare food. Teach your friends. Teach your spouse. Spread the word on making healthy, tasty food!

• lewis.mary.e
    lewis.mary.e Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

I LOVE cooking, so much so that I started a blog a couple years ago. www.atouchofyum.com

I am actually missing cooking lately. I cook dinner every day, but for fun cooking hasn't been happening lately because we have an almost 4 month old puppy who wants to be everywhere I am. I'm not comfortable having her underfoot in the kitchen yet.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

"We have an almost 4 month old puppy who wants to be everywhere I am. I'm not comfortable having her underfoot in the kitchen yet."

Could you put her one room away from the kitchen where she can see and smell you, and use a child gate to keep her from getting into the kitchen while you are doing food prep?

• lewis.mary.e
    lewis.mary.e Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

That's what I do when I have to cook, but if my husband or son aren't in the room she's in while I'm in the kitchen, she barks and whines the whole time. We are getting to the point where as long as I'm not cutting onions or garlic, she can be with me. I'm just afraid I'm going to trip over her when I'm carrying something hot.

It's a temporary thing. She will be a dog by this time next year. :)

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭

Those pictures look amazing! Looks delicious!

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ruth Ann Reyes I also love food - growing it, cooking it, read cookbooks & recipes then modifying them and creating my recipes. To me cooking is a lot like gardening - a really fun experiment!😀

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭

Pigs ha!

• Brindy
    Brindy Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

@Ruth Ann Reyes, I feel the same way. I love my instant pot and my other electric pressure cookers. I have been using them for years, easy before instantpot, so I'm not name loyal. I do have to say that the instant pot has a lot of features. I have a 6 and an 8qt of the instant pot and the pampered chef one too, but it's not my fave. I need more than one to do more than one dish or side at a time. I also love my airfryer, but I have to say that I got one with multiple trays and a basket and it changed my life.

@Acequiamadre , I love your description of dinner! An event! I love it!

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry folks, I'm one of those that doesn't like to cook. Before you send me to the corner, I was traumatized twice when I was young - hot pan of oil burn all down my leg and then again by a mother who screamed at me in the kitchen. BUT, I love to eat, buy kitchen tools, grocery shop, and watch people cook. I'm very bad at it. Really. I've had kids that I babysit beg me not to cook. When grocery stores used to have cheap sauce pans if you bought a lot of groceries, I'd buy 10 to keep in the closet because I'd have to throw mine out often because I'd totally burn them up. The list goes on.

My newly minted husband left early every morning. He came home once after work in the evening and told me he could always tell if I made breakfast. I said "How can you tell? I clean everything up." He simply stated that "The house smells burnt." He was soooooo sweet and said "I never said you had to cook." Ever since then, he's cooked everything.

I did take cooking lessons once and had a good time, but I still prefer my husband doing the cooking - and so does he, and so do the kids. I'm okay with that because I have other talents.

I'm always up for a Pot Luck.

• Melissa Swartz
    Melissa Swartz Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

@Acequiamadre I have to confess to owning too many cookbooks. A few years ago I put together a list of some favorite recipes and found a place online (now out of business) that would create physical cookbooks for me. I got 5 of them and gave them away to family members. I keep adding to the cookbook as I find new favorites.

• John
    John Posts: 163 ✭✭✭

Likewise, another foodie here! LOL! What great ideas everyone! Thanks so much.