Imagine no hospital no doctors around....

So imagine hospital is too far and there are no doctors around. What would you do?

Well, that is the question I have lately in my head. So I am looking for some interesting books.

How did they survive before all these drugs and doctors etc.. I remember my grandma using herbs, warm olive oil, garlic and a lot more.

I found this book maybe it is worth it:

https://www.amazon.com/Where-There-No-Doctor-Handbook/dp/0942364155/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=when+there+is+no+doctor&qid=1605291024&sr=8-1

Comments

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is something we all need to be prepared for when there are no Doctors around. I myself know that it is important for me to have first aid supplies and other items that will substitute for accidents, sprains, strains, and other injuries that occur. Perhaps take stock of what you have and then make an action plan. Instead of purchasing all of it at once take the time to spread the purchasing over a year or at the least several months.

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

I'm planning to take the courses here on the Grow Network Academy about Making Herbal Medicine and Home Medicine 101: https://academy.thegrownetwork.com/

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin
    edited November 2020

There is also this course, hosted by Marjory, and taught by Doc Jones:

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@NarjissMomOf3

Have you checked out all the courses at TGN's Academy? Lots of great info on getting started with herbal medicine.

TGN's library has some very useful e-books on a variety of health or emergency related topics. The Top 25 Herbs for Emergencies and Survival. Garlic - Your First Home Medicine. Herbal Support for the Cold & Flu Season. Wild Lettuce - Nature's Gift for Pain Relief.

I see there is a chapter on first aid in the book you mention. One of the very first things you should do to be prepared for emergencies is to take a First Aid course. Everyone should know how to do the simple things; stopping bleeds, treating shock, cooling burns, doing CPR, etc. Start with a basic course and continue upgrading your skills to your comfort level. Get your kids started on first aid as well. There are courses that are specifically designed for children to learn simple first aid applications.

• Gail H
    Gail H Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭

I just looked and the Red Cross is offering classes online. They offer one year provisional certifications not the normal two year. My daughter's first aid teacher said that he would no longer teach Red Cross classes in the future because he didn't feel they were rigorous enough. He moved to teaching material from the American Heart Association, but I haven't found any online so far.

• Torey

@Gail H I'm in agreement with the instructor that won't teach to Red Cross standards. The AHA or the Heart & Stroke Foundation both offer good training in comparison to Red Cross. I am a First Responder Trainer with my VFD so I have a bit of insight into the different programs offered.

I found a couple of companies that are offering online first aid training. I'm not familiar with either of them so not making a recommendation. But they are worth checking out if you are interested in getting some training now during current restrictions. Very beneficial to find one that is an in-person class once they become available again.

This one is Canadian.

The others offered all seem to be Red Cross based.

@NarjissMomOf3 I highly recommend 7Song's Herbal First Aid course. Its free and there is a lot of really good info for life without doctors. This is the discussion group with a link to the course. https://community.thegrownetwork.com/discussion/844864/7songs-herbal-first-aid-course-study-group

• NarjissMomOf3
    NarjissMomOf3 Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

Thank you everyone. Excellent suggestions Torey!!

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@torey Thanks for all the links to check out. I'm definitely more interested in having necessary preparations on hand/ready just in case. Of course this is all new to me and can easily get overwhelming to think about what you really need to have on hand.

@LaurieLovesLearning I'm going to have to start setting some money aside so that when courses such as this come up I can pay for them. This one with Doc Jones and Marjory Wildcraft sounds riveting.

• bcabrobin
    bcabrobin Posts: 251 ✭✭✭

There are so many sites to learn about what you can do if no Drs are around. I would ask around and see which ones people liked. I have taken a few where I don't think I learned anything the teachers were very bad teachers. I guess I do better if the teacher is showing me how to forage for what I need, what I need to do (dry, chop, add to oil/alcohol etc) and how to make the herbal medicine. Like the ones found on this site.

There is so much to learn but start small, don't let it overwhelm you.

Start with 1 or 2 herbs that you can do a lot with.

Don't pay a lot to take a class to learn - I saw a class that was on sale for $999.

Just look thru past post on this forum, you can get SO MUCH info from here.

Most important - HAVE FUN, Learn, making stuff to help you be prepared for stuff!

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

Homeopathy saved America from the last pandemic and it has been working here (USA) as well as in other countries around the world. The FDA and the pharmaceutical companies would have you believe you need their drugs. You don't. You do need to educate yourself on things that we used to do to take care of ourselves and know when to seek help. TGN is a great place to be.

• Sharie
    Sharie Posts: 276 ✭✭✭

Quantum Touch is worth learning. I healed my broken foot with it. Homeopathy is also good to know but it takes a lot of time to learn. Making your a remedy from your own body's fluids will fix whatever is ailing it as it contains the perfect information needed from your own body. This is called isotherapy. It's not difficult to do but in an emergency situation you will need to have your supplies ready. Some homeopathics that are important for first aid: Arnica, Aconite (shock), Apis (bee stings), Nux vomica (stomach/vomiting/hangovers/poison), Ledum for stings, Silicea for slivers and other objects stuck in the body that need to come out, Arsenicum album (food poisoning or chemical exposure). That's a short list. Look online for first aid kits and see what appeals to you for your needs and also where you live. If there's snakes or scorpions you will need a few others. C30 is pretty universal. I prefer higher potencies myself but when in doubt C30.

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭

I have that book. I also have the where there is no dentist book by the same publisher I believe. There are several good ones out there. Marjory offers several trainings in this department and they are excellent.

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bcabrobin Thank you for the encouragement and frugal suggestions. I'm all about saving money whenever/wherever possible.😉

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

That book is one I have from a free download site . Here is the link to it.

http://libgen.rs/search.php?req=Where+There+Is+No+Doctor&open=0&res=25&view=simple&phrase=1&column=def

• DurwardPless
    DurwardPless Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

@vickeym What a great site, They have just about any kind of book you would want! Thank you for the post.

DDP

• Torey

Did everyone get the e-mail from Marjory today that had Today's Freebie? Herbal First Aid with Doc Jones. Its available for 72 hours viewing. This is a great start along the path to be ready for situations where you don't have immediate access to medical care. Good introduction for his more extensive course "Medical Skills for When ....... There is No Doctor". I just love the duct tape stitching technique!

Here's the link in case you didn't get it. https://thegrownetwork.com/dr-patrick-jones-herbal-first-aid-72h-registration/

• spanthegulf
    spanthegulf Posts: 81 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

This is a hugely important subject! Thank you @NarjissMomOf3 for bringing it up! I have been "slowly" beginning to learn a few key herbs... by learn, I mean learn and use. For example, last Thanksgiving I cut a finger really, really badly. Not fun. Call me stubborn, but I simply did not want to spoil everyone's holiday by dragging us all to the emergency room. Besides... what better time to put my learning to the test? I quietly cleaned it very well and applied a compression bandage to stop the bleeding. Next day I added organic honey as an antibacterial. Day 2 I added a poultice made of fresh macerated comfrey leaves. The next day it was 50% healed! Two days later you'd never have guessed what a serious injury it had been! Even now I love showing off my nearly non-existent scars whenever the topic of healing herbs comes up! Let's hear it for one huge success under my belt!

That said... I really need to get off of "slowly" and onto "serious"! As several have mentioned, there are several good courses available here on TGN. No excuse, really... y'all hold me accountable, OK? 😏

• NarjissMomOf3
    NarjissMomOf3 Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

Thank you as well!!

Torey, I will check out that link about herbs.

• frogvalley

What would be very useful to me is a network of resources, holders of things if you will that one might need. For instance, way back when homeopathy couldn't be found in stores at all, study groups generally had one person involved that had a plethora of remedies in case the need arose. Nobody took advantage of it (knocked on the door at 3am for a tiny splinter) and they always resupplied/reimbursed for what was used. I think I used it once and was thankful to have it available.

I try to be self sufficient, but let's face it, one day when the lights go out, I'm going to need the one plant that I didn't grow. Dang it! And then what am I going to do? Put on my snow shoes and shuffle off to @torey 's house. If I knew where I could possibly find x, y or z this side of the border, that would help.

Just a thought and I've already thought of all the problems of keeping a database up-to-date as well as the reams of paper required to print out a hard copy so no need to respond about that. I was just brainstorming/daydreaming about the topic.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

Well, I haven't been to a doctor since Obamacare passed and I couldn't afford insurance any longer. So, I treat myself. When I get injured or sick, I get well. THe medical profession is far less needed than most folks think.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

We haven't been to a doctor in a very long time. The majority of things can easily be dealt with at home with a bit of knowledge. I think eating truly from scratch (including growing your own...or carefully sourcing vegetables, fruit, meat, dairy), getting rid of most artificial garbage (including synthetic cleaners, etc.) and not being careless about anything goes a long way.

I actually have a doctor...I looked her up when she was new here and signed up to be a patient, but I haven't gone to see her since she started her practice...no need. I think that is around 7 years or so now...I don't even know if I've been to a walk in for anything for me...ah, nope, one winter within the start of that 7 years I had a bad bout of nasty bronchitis. It lasted for 3 months (& I think it was 2 rounds). Other than that, I haven't been seen by a doctor.

With the knowledge that I have now, I don't know if I could have avoided that or not, but it is possible.

• DurwardPless
    DurwardPless Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

I just got the book and and cannot wait to find some time to read it.

• Torey

@frogvalley A database is an excellent idea.

Have you checked out Helios Homeopathy? https://www.helios.co.uk/shop/search/remedy/remedy-finder They also carry kits. Very well known company. Not sure if they are able to ship to the States but if you wanted to order, you could have it shipped to me and then I could ship it to you. I am actually going to be ordering some kits so I could order an extra for you. I know other homeopaths in the States that order this way, via friends or colleagues in Canada.

I know that it is the case for Remedia. They won't ship to the States but will ship to Canada. https://www.remedia-homeopathy.com/shop/

Do you know about Hahnemann Labs? A US homeopathic pharmacy. I haven't ordered from them in awhile and think you might need to be a practitioner to order. https://www.hahnemannlabs.com/cgi-bin/start.cgi/hahnemannlabs.com/hstore/programs/remedy_list.html

These will give you a much better selection than most health food stores or Boiron through Amazon.

We had a study group for a while and we were ordering in large quantities so we could share with the group. This gets around in our "Alternative" community and I still get calls from people looking for remedies that aren't commonly available at the health food store.

• frogvalley
    edited December 2020

@torey I have several kits and keep the restocked. I also have an entire shelf of single remedies. Fortunately, we live about an hour from Washington Homeopathic Pharmacy/Homeopathy Works in Berkeley Springs, West Virginia. Unfortunately, if they outlaw homeopathy, remedies (especially ones that are rarely used or now illegal to buy) will be hard to come by so having a database of "friends" would be nice.