Autumn Chili

blevinandwomba
blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

I made this last weekend and was very pleased with it, so I thought I'd share.

I soaked and cooked until soft a mix of kidney and black beans, about 3 cups dry. I sauteed 8 oz. mushrooms and a large onion until brown, and added a couple hot peppers, 1 small, peeled and cubed butternut squash, and a couple peeled and chopped apples. Somewhere in that process I browned 3/4 lb. of ground pork. I seasoned with cumin, oregano, smoked paprika, and cinnamon. The broth seemed a little thin( I expected the apple and squash to break down but they didn't), so I stirred in a few tablespoons of unsweetened apple butter; that brought all the flavors together. It had almost a barbecue flavor.

Comments

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,461 admin

That is very creative, and sounds good!

Mine is more traditional east coast "Tex-Mex"... it is done in "dumps".

Heat oil in a dutch overn

Add onion, chopped to good, fatty meat... when brown.... add chopped jalepenos, serranos and poblanos,.... when they get soft, add garlic...when all that is cooked, push tot he side and add dried red peppers (whatever you have), cumin, paprika, cilantro, oregano and a bottle of cheap chili powder. When the spices have toasted, push to the side again and add one can of El Pato sauce!!!!!!!!! Yes, a canned sauce. This stuff is magic - old school, southern California spicy tomato sauce. Add canned or fresh crushed tomatoes and cook down. To all that, add dark red kidney, balck and pinto beans... simmer for more than an hour. ENJOY!

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

I make chili the easy way. I soak my beans overnight - kidney, pinto, black, then I cook them all day in my crockpot with onions, garlic, peppers of various kinds. Once they're done and my house smells delicious I add tomato sauce, lots of spices, salsa, sometimes corn, and a cup of cooked whole couscous. I started making vegan chili for my daughter and we love it so much I still don't add meat.

• Acequiamadre
    Acequiamadre Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

We do a New Mexico Three-Sisters Stew: beans, corn, squash, green chile. And some beer.

• Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 117 ✭✭✭

Got a pot on today as I write this! Started it around 12 noon Central time!

Ground Beef

Sweet Onion

Tabasco Peppers

Red Sweet Pepper

Red Beans

1 Beer (Less a long pull)

1 Can Chopped Tomatoes-Home Grown!

1 Can Tomato Sauce-Store Bought.

Dash of; Paprika, Salt, Black Pepper, Crushed Red Pepper, Cumin, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Chili Powder, Worcestershire Sauce, Lemon Pepper, Hot Sauce,

Package of Chili-O Seasoning

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4 That's pretty close to what I normally do, but I kept hearing about pumpkin chili and wanted to give it a shot. I meant to roast a squash ahead of time to add to the chili, but I never got around to it. As it was, the flavor was really good, but not particularly pumpkin-y.

@kbmbillups1 That sounds really good. I make a vegan chili with eggplant and mushrooms.

@Acequiamadre summer or winter squash?

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,461 admin

I can see pumpkin in it... maybe better with pork, roasted peppers and tomatillos though.