Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

What project are you working on? — The Grow Network Community
You're next. Believe it. Envision it. Manifest it.

- Unknown

What project are you working on?

monica197monica197 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Building Projects

I am finishing up (with the help of an oldie who is a carpenter) a shelf above our laundry, something that I have wanted for a long time. We designed a simple unit where I can reuse some doors from a bathroom vanity no longer in existence along with two other doors that will make the center a pie safe! I am so excited.

Today I finished painting the shelving and cabinet doors. We will install them on Monday. I will post a photo when we are all done.

Old Fashioned Pie Safe (not mine) - These insets are tin. Mine will be screened.

Comments

• SlippySlippy Posts: 117 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

Awesome pie safe!

So I've been working on a 35 year long project!

Its called...Not Ticking My Wife Off Too Bad! I think my lifetimeAverage is about .500

"Whoa, wait a minute Slip, thats like 50%!! That doesn't sound good!?!? Half of the time you tick her off?"

Well, now that you put it that way, Yes, I guess so...But... for all you baseball fans... a .300 Batting Average will get you in the Hall of Fame, and I'm batting waaaaay above that at .500!

So the way I figure it, I'm a Hall of Fame Husband! 😀

• SlippySlippy Posts: 117 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

Awesome project @monica197 !

Me? I'll continue to work on my 35 Year old project as Hall of Fame Husband!

"Whoa!! Wait a minute Slippy! You sure think highly of yourself dontcha?"

Well, allow me to explain using "Man-Speak Sports Analogies" like Baseball.

In Baseball, a .300 Batting Average will get you in the Hall of Fame. Over the past 35 + years I suspect I have achieved a 50% success rate of NOT ticking Mrs Slippy off.

"Whoa, hold on there Slip, that means that half the time you DO tick her off, right?"

Well, technically you are correct, but in baseball terms, I've got a lifetime "Batting Average" of .500! That'll get me in the Hall of Fame fer sure!

Hope this helps!

Carry on! 😋

• water2worldwater2world Sherry Jochen Sevierville, TNPosts: 161 ✭✭✭

@monica197 I can't wait to see your finished project! (Much bigger than my projects!) lol

I'm working on some fingerless gloves for some people at an assisted living place---seems like their hands are staying cold, but they need their fingers to be free. Also have some "fun" neck scarves in the works.

For my household, I am finishing up some tinctures, and waiting on some infusions to finish, so I can bottle them up!

• RustBeltCowgirlRustBeltCowgirl North Coast OhioPosts: 484 ✭✭✭✭

Which project? I'm rearranging my section of the house. Several pairs of socks on the knitting needles. Downloading vegan related magazines/cookbooks to pare some of the meat out of my diet. Not giving up being an carnivore, but could do with a little less.

• monica197monica197 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Awesome projects! I would love to see pics of the fingerless gloves and socks.

And as for the baseball analogy - keep up the good work!!

• kbmbillups1kbmbillups1 Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭

Wow! Great projects!

Mine is not as fancy. I made my cat a cat wheel to run on. I watched several youtube videos and made it as inexpensively as possible knowing he may not use it.

So far I can only get him to sit on it. He doesn't care to try to get any of the toys I'm trying to get him to reach for in order to make the wheel move.

• TaveTave Posts: 347 ✭✭✭

Nice! So much more interesting than mine:) I'm trying to organize my gardening tools and supplies in something more attractive than a plastic bag hiding under my kitchen table. Playing with the idea of wooden fruit crates at the moment.

• CorneliusCornelius Posts: 216 ✭✭✭

@monica197 That looks great!

I am working on knitting simple cotton dishrags and a few scarfs that I have started.

@Cornelius that is not my piece - I just loaded that pic in for reference. Mine is finishing up tomorrow :-)

Post a pic of your dishrags ad scarves - I'd love to see them!!

• ltwickeyltwickey Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

I am crocheting a sweater and knitting some socks, as well as trying to declutter before our move in 5 months....

Declutter is an awesome way to save box/truck space, isn't it? If I don't want this,I am not packing it...and into the yard sale box! SO easy to unpack too!! Godspeed!

• dipat2005dipat2005 Posts: 292 ✭✭✭

@water2world about those fingerless gloves. Sometime back I got myself a pair of compression gloves which are fingerless and I wondered if you are giving these or just fingerless gloves. I was thinking that a lot of times, the elderly, because of their arthritis need compression gloves. These special gloves have helped the pain in the fingers a lot. I especially wear them at night. Thank you for making those fingerless gloves for the elderly!

• Granny MarieGranny Marie Posts: 48 ✭✭✭

I'm dismantling pallets to make some raised beds. Building is way more fun than taking apart.

That is true. Hopefully you have a circular saw or a crowbar?

Here is my finished project - I am thrilled!!

@monica197 WOW---Your project turned out great! Thanks for posting the finished picture!

• Lisa KLisa K Posts: 404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do to tweaking my knee my garden list is getting long but the biggest project I want to complete so I can get my winter garden set is to create a compost bin in the middle of my raised-bed using chicken wire.

I got the idea from Costco -

@dipat2005 I am not making the compression fingerless gloves ---the main reason is the different sizes. The ones I make are for warmth and have a hole for the thumb. The distance from the thumb hole to the edge allows for the glove to be at the middle joint of the fingers (can be folded over or pushed up if needed). The other end goes several inches past the wrist. They seem to be easy for the wearer to put on (feedback I have received). I just mailed some, and still have more to do---when I get another one completed, will post a picture.

I enjoy making things that can be put to use!

• Michelle DMichelle D Posts: 174 ✭✭✭

@monica197 that is beautiful! You did a wonderful job. Thank you for sharing it. It is motivational for me to see projects like that turn out so well. I have a tendency to not be creative enough to come up with ideas like that on my own.

I find the compost thing in the middle very functional and time efficient! no moving it to where you need it - it is already there!!! How easy is that!!

• Lisa KLisa K Posts: 404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@monica197 I am all about easy 😀

@monica197 Here's a pic of that latest socks on my needles.

@COWLOVINGIRL This is a "toe up" sock done with magic loop (1 circular needle). The yarn is self striping. The pattern I'm using is an easy 4 st/4 row repeat. Just about ready to start the short row heel and go up the leg.

Stitch pattern can be found here: http://web.archive.org/web/20071219213716/www.knitlist.com/98gift/tooeasysocks.htm

@RustBeltCowgirl The yarn is really striping nicely for you - how long have you been knitting?

@monica197 My grandmother taught me the basics when I was about 8. Yow, that's 50 years!!

That is great! What a nice thing to have learned and carry on.

• susan darcysusan darcy Posts: 2

I am building a small, high density homestead orchard in central Texas on rocky ground. Deer fencing is almost complete! Next step will be cutting down several tall trees that block the sun and using the felled branches to form the raised, terraced beds. Feels good.

• LaurieLovesLearningLaurieLovesLearning Moderator Manitoba, Canada 🍁 zone 3, PrairiesPosts: 3,358 admin

Welcome to our forum, @susan darcy! You sound busy!

I see you left an introduction. ;) When you have a moment, please review the forum rules as well in Our Front Porch. I have left a link below for your convenience. You can also review FAQ & learn different tips as far as posting and more in this section.

• Nancy CarterNancy Carter Posts: 196 ✭✭✭

We are downsizing, minimizing whatever we can. Taking inventory of food and preserved goods etc. Framing old pictures and designing the walls with them. Journaling the garden layout for next season. Decorating for the holidays and creating homemade gifts!

• JensJens Posts: 460 ✭✭✭

My project in the making for next year.

Getting this area at my parents house into a garden.

Any thoughts?

Planning on doing nodig.

@Jens - as in lasagna gardening? Josh at Homesteading Family on Youtube has several videos on that - he is bg into nodig gardens...

• JensJens Posts: 460 ✭✭✭

@monica197 yes thought no dig in lasagna style. Will have a look at Homesteading Family, do not know them yet.

Have been watching Charles Dowding a lot 😊