Can Elderberry syrup be made into a tincture?

I made an big batch of elderberry syrup this weekend and was wondering if it's too late to make it a tincture. An acquaintance who is an herbalist recommended that it be used at the first sign of illness instead of as a preventive measure. I made extra so that my family could take it daily. I was told a batch only is good for about 3 weeks-month. I keep mine refrigerated but wondered if I could make it last longer by making it a tincture. If so, how do I determine how much alcohol to use? Thank you in advance for your help.

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

@cantoblues Welcome to the forum!

Have you checked out the Front Porch Welcome? https://community.thegrownetwork.com/categories/our-front-porch-welcome%21-%28please-read-before-posting%29

There are categories to introduce yourself as well.

When I make my elderberry syrup, I add brandy to it. Extends the shelf life quite a bit and is good for patient compliance. If I had a cup of juice and a cup of honey, I would add 1 cup of brandy. You could add any alcohol but I like the flavour of brandy for this. I will take this as a preventative measure if I think I might have been exposed rather than waiting for the first sign of illness. I don't see anything wrong with having a shot in the evenings like a cordial, regardless of whether or not you have been exposed to anything. Its delicious as a food medicine. Without the brandy it is nice on ice cream or pancakes (or maybe with). :)

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,518 admin

Welcome @cantoblues! I have had my syrup (without any alcohol) last refrigerated from October until April. Maybe it depends on the recipe?

We only used it as a first sign type of thing. I have considered making a tincture as it is supposed to be good, but just haven't done it yet.

• cantoblues
    cantoblues Posts: 3 ✭✭✭

Thank you @torey! I have some brandy at home so that would be easy enough to do. I will probably just end up trying that with the next batch. I appreciate the help.

Thank you @LaurieLovesLearning! That's good to know. Last winter's batch lasted quite awhile so I'm hoping this one will too.

• cantoblues
    cantoblues Posts: 3 ✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning I popped by the front porch to introduce myself but I couldn't figure out how to comment. LOL. (shrug)

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,518 admin

The Front Porch has the Rules area and has a place for longer, more conversational intros. Link below:

Introductions has a place to leave a very short statement about where you are from (like town & state/province, perhaps geowing zone, if desired), & is divided by continent subcategories.

Conversation there is best done elsewhere for ease of browsing through those posts. This area should make it easier to make quick connections with others nearby. Link below:

• I made a tincture with elderberries about two years ago. It is my back-up emergency use item. I made a glycerite of elderberry that I use daily but even that has some alcohol added.

• Acequiamadre
    Acequiamadre Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

@torey I have not added brandy to my tincture. But now with "patient compliance" in mind I am going to mix up a batch. I am not the biggest fan of honey--can I lower the amount without impacting the storage?

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

@Acequiamadre If you lower the honey content it will reduce the storage time. But if you are adding brandy, that will act as a preservative and you can lower the amount of honey.

• spanthegulf
    spanthegulf Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

I haven't yet grown enough berries to make my own juice, but I find that the commercial product I purchase -- which has no added sugars or preservatives -- keeps very well refrigerated. I would think your homemade juice should as well. I did make a decocted tincture of elder leaf this year. The leaves are stronger than the berries or flowers, hence the need to take extra measures in preparing them. I used vodka... because I tend to like brandy a bit too much! LOL I use it at the first sign of stress or illness, and for a few days at least. I deal with several autoimmune issues, so I'm particularly attentive to early warning signals. I have elder juice as well, but I have to say this elder leaf tincture has saved my bacon a couple of times already this fall!