Deep pantry

This was first published on her blog in 2017. Still very relevant today.

This is still a major topic on her blog today.

Comments

• Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 117 ✭✭✭

Excellent article for those struggling to figure out how to start and maintain a deep pantry on a budget.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

That's an interesting article. I would not store drinking water in a bleach bottle though!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

We actually get 3 1/2 gallon plastic food pails to store our water. We replace them pails once on a while and use the old pails for feed chores. I would like something else for storage of course, but that would be pretty expensive.

We get our water from a spring approximately 1/2 hour from our place.

• annflancan
    annflancan Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

Loved the part about the picky eater kids. I did just the same. It took one complaint for them to learn to put their heads down and shovel it down.

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

My mother uses distilled water in her CPAP and I buy the 3 gallon case of water. Having had water in already, it's fine for another batch of water to be put in.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just an FYI- do not store water in lightweight plastic bottles. Storing water in soda bottles is ok and everything I have read says to add bleach. I really don't like that idea. I would rather boil it and filter it. There is a town here in Oregon that has been boiling water for 4 months now because something happened to the town's water. They are hoping to get a grant and get it fixed.

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to save the gallon glass jars that came with apple cider and aloe to store water. I've been considering getting a carboy to store water, but they are expensive.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

I think someone posted this link in another discussion. It is regarding safe water storage and what containers are the best, including which of the recycled containers are OK to use. Bleach bottles are not recommended regardless of what is stated in the above article. They are not made using food grade plastic.

I like your idea of glass carboys @Tave. But yes, they are expensive and breakable. I have seen warming blankets that some people use when making wine. That would prevent breakage from minor bumps.

• Melissa Burford
    Melissa Burford Posts: 69 ✭✭✭

Interesting posts. A lot of things we already do, but it's nice to see what others do and see if we can improve, or simply build, upon what we already do/have.