Hemp Bedding, Grow Mats & Blocks

LaurieLovesLearning
LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

We changed the serama bantams' bedding. It is now hemp instead of clay.

Our last clay litter (a different brand) was so very dusty and it made them itchy, so they would dust bathe, which made more dust and round and round it went. It was not as good at keeping the smell down either, even though it was 100% bentonite like the "virtually dustless" stuff was.

Unfortunately, the hemp bag contained pelleted hemp. It still cuts down on the smell, but in that form is essentially pressed dust. 😬 We haven't tried it in the litter boxes yet, but think it will be okay there...just not the greatest form for birds.

We will buy another type from another Canadian company next time, along with hemp pads (a roll is cheapest) for making nest box liners for hens outside and for the bottom of the hedgehog pen. That hemp bedding is really good stuff. I like that in other forms that it should be dustless, repels bugs, keeps warmth, absorbs all smell (ammonia & otherwise), absorbs a lot of liquid (important for some animal litter/bedding), chemical-free, and is very biodegradable. It has other benefits too, but I will leave that up to all of you to look up.

It is very expensive, so you have to do your homework. On the other hand, you won't be changing it as often either.

@silvertipgrizz certainly look into this bedding for your parrot.

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin
    edited November 2020

Here is the link for the bedding we want. Right now, they have a sale on both their growing products (for seed starting, trees, etc.) and pet cage liners, bedding & litter. 15% off & free shipping in Canada AND the US. They will ship to other countries as well.

Right now, exchange is in your favor as well. It has been approximately $1.30 CDN to your $1 USD.

I guess that I should state that I have no affiliation with them, just like what I see.

Their customer service is good too.

@Marjory Wildcraft have you considered carrying hemp grow products (like what this place offers) in the TGN store?

• MaryRowe
    MaryRowe Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for this information and link! These products sound like just what I am looking for.

Due to a major raccoon attack (a whole gang of the villains all at once!) I lost most of my little flock and will be starting new chicks in the spring. I was really dreading it--have no good place for the babies except in the house, and the last time I started chicks it was just a terrible mess from the dust and crud they kicked up. Anything that can cut down on the mess will be a major help, so I'm giving this a try. Just placed an order--free shipping to the U.S. right now is hard to pass up!