Have you eaten salsify?

Megan Venturella
Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

I've been drooling over all the new-to-me seed varieties on a website online, and came across a description of salsify. I'll have to try it! But, oyster-like flavor? I feel like that could go either way. Just curious if anyone has eaten it, prepared it, or liked it. I'm always up to try something new!

Comments

• MaryRowe
    MaryRowe Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭

I tried salsify root once at a friend's house. I know it's supposed to taste like oysters, but that once at least it didn't to me. It was mild, kind of sweet, with an odd flavor that reminded me of anise more than anything.

We had both tried to grow it for the first time because we are interested in food history and now-forgotten vegetables. I couldn't get my seeds to germinate at all. She didn't get very good germination, but did raise enough to give us a taste. Haven't tried to grow it again. It apparently doesn't like our Missouri clay or the growing conditions around here very much.

• cbrendan
    cbrendan Posts: 7 ✭✭✭

I grew some in 2019, and it did well. I also found it had a mild flavour. I didn't notice any oyster taste. In some ways, it reminded me of burdock root, but not as strong of an earthy taste. I'm going to try the same variety next year, along with black salsify as well.

• Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks, maybe I should give it a try. Not a glowing recommendation though... 🤔

• cbrendan
    cbrendan Posts: 7 ✭✭✭

Yeah, I wasn't as impressed as other growers said I would be, for sure! I'm considering it an experiment, and I'll modify certain factors that could affect the taste. Some of the main things I'm striving for are nutrition and storage capabilities... and taste, of course. Anything that isn't particularly flavourful will be cooked in butter 😀 Good luck!

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

I have not tried it yet, but I have grown it. Actually, it's self-sowing in my garden now. The flowers are very pretty the second year- like wild chicory but bigger, and purple. I think I wintersowed it when I first started it, so maybe some form of stratification will help if you can't get it to germinate.