Ocular Migraines (Eye) What do you use?

dipat2005
dipat2005 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2020 in General Health

This is my fourth year of having ocular migraines. Ocular migraines of the eye generally present with symptoms of 5 to 20 minutes. That was the first year.

Now I usually wake up with a headache and blurry vision. Sometimes I have an aura but that is rare. An aura for me can be zigzag lines in black and white or the same thing in different colors. Now my headaches last from 36-48 hours. I leave my house not realizing that my vision is blurry until I cannot read the road signs. I have a new medication my opthamologist gave me and it didn't work for what was intended but instead took away my awareness of these migraines by getting rid of the pain and the intensity of the migraines. I am wondering if anyone else has these and if they have tried any herbal medicines that help or compresses or anything helpful? I even wonder if the high blood pressure is affecting this problem.

I have kept my eye on new information as it comes up on Web MD and any other site I can but I haven't come across any herbal medicine sites.

Comments

• I have migraine with headache and aura and light sensitivity at times.

I have no natural remedy but if I drink coke light if realizing the attack coming I can avoid the full blow in 95% of the time.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dipat2005 I get migraines now and then with aura -- either jagged lightning looking images or blurry images. I use commercial painkillers to stave off the actual pain. (For those who don't know: flashing lights can be a symptom of detached retina, so be sure what you are seeing.)

I assume that you are avoiding the food trigger groups.

I just ordered an Allay green light. Researchers found out that focused green light reduces or eliminates migraines. I will post my experiences here after I receive the light and can test in on myself.

I was doing a Doc Jones lesson yesterday and found out that lemon balm can keep migraines away. Note that lemon balm can reduce thyroid function, so use wisely. I haven't tried it on myself yet.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,690 admin

@dipat2005

Try to keep a migraine diary. Then you can see what activities or foods or stress might be affecting you. See if they occur with episodes of high blood pressure. The same stressors that may be causing your high blood pressure might be triggering the migraines as well.

If you are on any medications, check for side effects or possible interactions with other things that might cause migraines.

We all seem to be low in magnesium, so that might be a place to start. Ensure that you are getting enough in your diet or use a supplement. Make sure you are getting enough Omega-3's.

Feverfew is a recommended herb for migraines but it doesn't work for everyone.

Butterbur (aka Coltsfoot) (Petasites species) is also suggested but if you are going to take it as a supplement look for one that doesn't contain pyrrolizidine alkaloids. It should say PA-free.

Ginkgo biloba is often recommended for migraines.

I found this formula at the Practical Herbalist, specifically for ocular migraines, that includes Ginkgo. https://www.thepracticalherbalist.com/healthy-recipes/ocular-migraine-remedy/

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dipat2005 I hope you find a solution soon. I don't have migraines, but I do get cluster headaches.

Everyone is different and migraines can be caused by a variety of reasons. If it is food-related, an elimination diet might help.

The Grow Network offers a sugar-detox class, and I've included a link to one of the discussions. It's a version of keto. For those who can't do keto because of the higher fat consumption (doctors don't recommend keto for anyone with a liver condition), Whole30 offers an elimination diet based on paleo. Then after the cleanse, if you feel better, you add one food group back at a time and keep a diary about how your body reacts and if it causes a migraine.

• Tave

I don't know what I'm doing wrong when posting links😬 but the discussion is titled Sugar Detox and it's under Educational Opportunities & ResourcesTGN Certifications & CoursesConquering Sugar

• dipat2005

Thank you everyone I so appreciate it. I am amazed at the response and I will look into these ideas and see what I come up with. I am keeping track of my blood pressure and at one point kept track of my ocular migraines too but haven't done that in several months.

• lewis.mary.e
    lewis.mary.e Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

A neighbor made me a roller ball bottle of mint, lemon and lavender essential oils in a carrier oil when she found out I had a migraine. I put it on my temples, behind my ears, along my throat and a dot under my nose, and on my wrists. The smell of it takes the edge off the pain almost immediately.

• Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

I have had bad migraines on and off over the years. The best thing for me is that right when I feel it coming on, I mix 2 Tablespoons of ginger into a cup of water and down it. It’s fiery, but I feel something happen in the back of my neck when I drink it and BAM! No migraine. You can repeat after four hours if necessary, but I’ve never had to. It’s a small miracle.

At one point chiropractic work helped. At that time I believe misalignment may have been the cause. Regular yoga helped me maintain.

I also recommend cranio-sacral therapy. I had constant migraines at one point and after only one visit I was better for years. I don’t know if that’s typical, but it was amazing and effective. Someone booked the appointment for me; I had never even heard of it before.

I also believe stress can bring them on, at least for me. I have noticed that sometimes women who never have peace and quiet or the opportunity to take care of themselves get them regularly. It can be the body’s way of telling you to slow down and take care of yourself or a very stressful, unresolved issue. Easier said than done.

I hope something there helps!

• dipat2005

@lewis.mary.e I really like the idea of the essential oils but not for my allergies- it would make my headache worse. Great idea though.

@Megan Venturella I haven't heard of the cranio-sacral therapy before. I will look into that. Thank you.

• Tave

I was just doing research for a new project and came across this quote on Rosalee's herbal remedies advice website. It's nice to know you've tried it and it works.

Herbalist Karta Purkh Singh Khalsa recommends ginger for stopping a migraine: 

In my observation, ginger is the absolute best thing for treating a migraine at the time that it develops, one of the few things that will work at the time. Stir two tablespoons of ginger powder into water and drink it at the onset of visual disturbances — the “aura” — before the pain starts. Usually that will knock it cold. The migraine may try to restart in about four hours, in which case you have to do this again. - Karta Purkh Singh Khalsa, Culinary Herbalism Course

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

Caffeine is supposed to help with migraines. You also probably have triggers and can experiment to see what they are (less sleep, dehydration, etc.)

• stephanie447
    stephanie447 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

Like others, I was going to mention KP Khalsa's dried ginger migraine remedy - 2-3 TBSPs in water if you feel a migraine coming on.

• dipat2005

Thank you all for your comments. I am truly grateful for the help.