Show 5: Fr. Sebastian Kneipp's Herbal and Water Therapy

https://soundcloud.com/user-727656296/show-5-fr-sebastian-kneipps-herbal-and-water-therapy

In 1890, Fr. Kneipp wrote an internationally best selling book on herbal medicine and the therapeutic value of water. In 1990, I met a 75 year old man who practiced Kneipp's methods and who had had only one cold in his entire life!

PS. A listener tells me that Fr. Kneipp's name is properly pronounced "Knaip, and he wasn't born in the Czech republic, but in Stephansried, Germany"... so, thanks to that listener. I don't speak German and the book I have states that the town in which he was born was part of the Czech Republic at that time. So hey, I have some smart listeners, which is cool!

Southern Appalachian Herbs: Show 5: Fr. Sebastian Kneipp's Herbal and Water Therapy

Comments

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

I told my husband about the water therapy when he got home last night. He thought I was making it up. Lol

I continued by explaining some of the things that I have learned over the last few weeks about herbs and holistic medicines. He seemed shocked. He knew that I was studying, but he didn't realize the extent of the impacts it can have. Then he was pretty impressed with me and my growing knowledge.

@judsoncarroll4 Thanks for the assist! 😉

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

That is really great, @Michelle D - the best news I could hear this morning!

• tomandcara
    tomandcara Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭

I like the advise "drink when you are thirsty......." unfortunately I think at this point many people have lost their sense of what being thirsty is. I also think your point about where you put your trust is very appropriate.

• judsoncarroll4

Fr. Kniepp also recommends teas, beer and wine, so he wasn't a "water only" guru. He was very careful to warn against any extremes in diet, exercise or use of water. I probably should have emphasized more his recommendations on breathing fresh air and taking walks/hikes.

• judsoncarroll4

Here are Fr. Kneipp's books on Archive - the title of the original is My Water Cure (English translation); you'll see German versions here, as well: https://archive.org/search.php?query=Sebastian%20kneipp

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

@judsoncarroll4 I take it very positive that you share your knowledge about Kneip and his water procedures. This is a natural and healthy way to keep body healthy and fit.

Here in Tirol in Austria Kneip is very popular. Many touristic places develop “Kneip Anlage” a Place where one can experience water procedures. There are instructions how one should use these water procedures E.g. a stone bath with running mountain water (usually icy) - one dives one’s bend arm slowly in and slowly out while one counts 20 seconds. By 20 you can hardly bear it anymore. But then it gives you such a bust of energy. No coffee or my energy drinks can achieve that.

or a procedure for tired legs. There is a kind of pool knee high with running mountain/icy water. You walk in this water, but for every step you have to pull your leg from the water - well, like a storks. If you don’t you cannot bear the cold. Afterwards all the tiredness is gone from legs, feet and the whole body. One is fit for mountaineering again...

up in the mountains you do not need any Kneip Anlage.there is running water everywhere, it is all icy and you just step with your tired legs into it, or put your arms in, or - this is what I always do - drink water direct from a mountain stream and fill your bottle.

@tomandcara I like you quote “drink when you are thirsty”. This two liter or what er per day is so misleading. We are all different and live under different conditions, in different climates. How can one define such rules. The body (not spoiled or mislead or broken body) knows what it needs and tells very clearly: all of a sudden you want nuts, or an apple, or a good steak (from a cow that grazed only grass and hey) or a Liter of water...

• tomandcara
    tomandcara Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭

@jolanta.wittib the key words are "the body unbroken" knows. The great news is there are ways to heal the broken body.

@judsoncarroll4 There is also something also about the quiet of walking/hiking in the natural world (nature/unbroken world) that is incredibly healing. I think quiet is also a simple and powerful healing modality.

• judsoncarroll4

Thanks @jolanta.wittib I hope to travel to Germany to receive training kin Kneipp therapy when/if everything returns to normal.

• Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

What a lovely podcast. His writing was beautiful. I’ve experienced this water therapy a few times hiking with friends in the country in California. We would walk down to an underwater cavern with very cold water from the mountains and shiver our way through. But afterwards! We all felt like we had the energy of kids again and made the hike back uphill with no problem! We called it the fountain of youth. :)

• judsoncarroll4

Thanks. Yes, I agree and beautiful writing is a lost art.

• judsoncarroll4

BTW, my back went out really bad a couple of days ago - serious sciatic pain. I did the Kneipp treatment and used an inversion table and am fine now. Kneipp is great stuff!