Christmas gift ideas

Nancy Carter
Nancy Carter Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

Looking for interesting inexpensive or homemade Christmas gifts for family and friends. What would be most useful during these uncertain times? Yet still being fun and interesting to put together!!

Comments

• Sharie
    Sharie Posts: 276 ✭✭✭

I've been preaching for years we all need to invest in seeds. Whether it's as simple as alfalfa sprouts in a jar or herb pots in the windowsill or veggies for the garden, everyone can benefit from receiving seeds and directions to plant them. Include pot, soil, directions. Maybe a grow light depending on your daylight times. A nice garden journal if you're gifting existing gardeners is always welcome. Homemade cough syrup, Gluwein spices along with a bottle of wine. Speaking of wine, learn to make your own from fruit or berries and gift it next year. If you have dried herbs from the garden you can make mixes and put them in a nice grinder or shaker bottle, maybe with some salt added. Make hot sauce. I guess it depends what you have to start with, what your talents are and what your friends and family like. Have fun with it!

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022

Most useful may depend on your gift recipient. I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time and love creating what I considered a great useful gift only to have them throw it away. Depending on what you think they are open to a jar for sprouting and some seeds, an herbal first aid kit, home spa products, a jar layered in a pretty way with the ingredients for a recipe and then the recipe attached are some ideas off the top of my head :)

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

Let's see...

• For a baker- jar mixes w/ an apron
    • For a reader- cocoa mix w/ a good book
    • For a gardener- pruners, seeds, garden apron

Just some fun ideas!

• Nancy Carter

@COWLOVINGIRL these are really nice ideas and practical too! I would never have thought of an apron but love the idea! I was wondering if people would enjoy an older teacup and saucer with some teas? I like the journal idea, I may add that to my daughters gift so she can keep track of the birds that visit us this winter. Thank you!

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

Check out TGN's store. There are some great gift ideas.

I have TGN's Medicine Bag and I love it. Just the right size. Very well made. I have ordered another one for a friend.

There is a lovely barometer that I have my eye on for the next order.

It might be a bit late for this year but you could make homemade flavoured vinegars. I have given those in the past. Elderberry vinegar was a big hit as was tarragon vinegar.

For that bird watcher, there are lots of online recipes to make seed balls to attract birds and facilitate bird watching.

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,454 admin

@Nancy Carter

everything self made: self made dishcloths; self made candles; self made bonbons, herbal tea, a tiny bottle of tincture (for energy, for sleep, for love...) ; a jar of jam, a bottle of syrup, honey, if you are a bee keeper, herbal salt.....

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭✭

At one time I had 8 orange boxes of family pictures. My granddaughter and I got busy and made 4 boxes of pictures for my children. Now I have 4 boxes of pictures. For Christmas this year the greats get individual Christmas bags of craft materials (I have 2 boxes of that stuff). During the back to school time I purchased 4 glue sticks, glue, colored pencils etc to go with their gifts for this year. Also for birthdays next year they will all get school boxes filled with picture making and card making supplies. I think they will have fun with these gift ideas that popped into my head after meditating about the issue of what to do. The grands have already gotten books of pictures of their parents, aunt and uncles.

• lewis.mary.e
    lewis.mary.e Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

I usually gift small jars of dried herbs from our garden, handmade crocheted cotton dishcloths, handmade lip and body balms, and last year jewel weed oil.

This year I am just mailing Christmas cards, because we won't be seeing anyone over Christmas thanks to Covid. :(

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a lot of interest in gardens and gardening this year in my family. Most are new gardeners so I am sharing my saved seeds and recycled pots and putting together brown bag garden kits for them set up on their interests and the time of year.

Sprouts and micorgreens for one niece and greens and mini tomatoes for the other niece. My one cousin get herbs. hers is a mix of seeds and a few small herb plants I started.

Since I saved the seeds and pots the only cost is soil and a brown bag

• COWLOVINGIRL

You're so welcome @Nancy Carter! The tea cup and saucer idea is great!

• COWLOVINGIRL

@Denise Grant That is a great idea!

• Nancy Carter

@jolanta.wittib how do you make bonbons and tinctures?

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@Nancy Carter over the past couple of months, I’ve been making some homemade gifts to give to friends over the Xmas season. Tea blends, herbal salt, bath salts, salves, lip balm and jams. I’m about to make a comfrey lotion for healing injuries. I just need to pick the right gift for the person. @torey I’m glad I read this thread, as I was about to post Rosalee’s hand made herbal book too.

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

For those who can't have gluten, but love treats, making gluten free cookies and then putting ice cream between them (ice cream sandwich) is a great surprise. Since they are frozen, they can be enjoyed beyond the holiday season.

Dried flowers, essential oils, a little material, thread, creativity and love can provide fabulous memories of your sachet as one opens their drawer.

My husband made yellow pepper sauce with olive oil and froze it in cubes. Bagged up and presented at the right time, alone or with other ingredients makes a special dinner.

Making your own tea bags is fun, inexpensive (if you already have the heat sealer) and healthy! I love the tea cup idea.

• gardneto76
    gardneto76 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭

I was thinking of making mod podge coaster. You can get wooden planks, then using printed photos, attach them to the wood using mod podge. I was just going to print a bunch of photos off my kids’ social media pages to use. You can make them all individualized or several of the same photos. Once they are dry I will let the kids pick out what they want, that way they can pick pictures of themselves, siblings, niece, pets, photos of sisters wedding they couldn’t attend due to Covid, ect.

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,454 admin

@Nancy Carter I have written a few recipes and other ideas in “discussions”, so if you go to my profile and click on discussions, you will see them. I also have a Facebook Blog “Jolanta Wittib Herbs” where I share my recipes and other ideas. One more Christmas present idea - self made beeswax wraps. I have also shared in “discussions” how to make them.

i might also share how I make new candles out of leftovers of old candles. That might be also a good Christmas present.

• Melissa Swartz
    Melissa Swartz Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

This year I am giving away seasoned salt, packaged in a salt shaker. Put it in a basket with some popcorn. It's great on just about everything; we use it all the time.

Ingredients

26 oz salt

1 ½ oz pepper

½-1 oz cayenne (red pepper)

1 oz garlic powder

1 oz chili powder

Directions

Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly. This makes 32 ounces.

• Wendy
    Wendy Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

I love to give a loose leaf herbal tea from my foraging adventures. I have a recipe for a Vitamin C tea, as well as a Calcium Rich tea. I make reusable tea bags from organic cotton material to go with the tea.

This year I am making a first aid salve to give as well.