Growing Squash Indoors During Winter

AmberRomkee
AmberRomkee Posts: 4 ✭✭

Has anyone been able to successfully grow pumpkin and butternut squash indoors during the winter months? I am in Colorado, I have several allergies and these two items are staples in my diet. Nothing like home grown and with supply chains the way they are right now, its a good idea to grow as much as one can. I have been trying to find information on this but it is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Comments

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to TGN @AmberRomkee. You didn't mention your living arrangements. I would think that if you have a basement, you could grow them in garbage cans and grow lights. Being vines, you might have to set up something like clothes lines on the floor joists.

• Acequiamadre
    Acequiamadre Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

Squash are excellent storing vegetables. In fact, I have beautiful squash that decorate y home in the fall and winter. Each one has a name (December, January, February). This is a clue for went they move from decoration to "stew, soups, and other good eatin'."

Many squash are amazing keepers, so growing them in season and then storing them is probably the best idea, and most energy efficient. Check out Native Seed Search for heritage varieties that grow well in the Southwest (https://www.nativeseeds.org/).

• RustBeltCowgirl

@Acequiamadre How do you go about curing a squash to keep it? I heard Melissa K Norris talking about it on her podcast.

• AmberRomkee
    AmberRomkee Posts: 4 ✭✭

I'm sorry I did not mention that I have a Tri- Level home (garden level basement). I thought maybe trellis? One would have to pollinate the flowers themselves correct? Has anyone done that?

• RustBeltCowgirl

@AmberRomkee Sure, I've done that before with my African Violets when I grew them. Use a Q-tip to get pollen off one blossom to pollinate another. Someone else might have an easier method.