Please be careful with new canning jars!
Our grocery store had Ball canning jars yesterday so I purchased a case each of wide mouth pints and wide mouth quarts. I am canning chicken and want to do beef stew next week.
As I was getting everything ready, I checked all of the jars. I even thought how silly that was since they are brand new, but I decided to not take any short cuts, since I don't want to get out of the habit of doing things properly. I'm glad that I did because one of the jars had a very pronounced bulge outward where the screw band is and another had excess glass on one side of the bottom- sort of like it was tilted while still molten. I assume that there is a corresponding deficit of glass somewhere in the jar. I am afraid that both of these jars have weak spots and will not hold up to pressure canning. One of the lids had a small spot without the proper finish as well.
I called the company and they do not issue refunds, but they are sending me a coupon. They did ask me to send them pictures of the defects. I'm not sure how to take pictures of clear glass jars that will show them, but I'll try.
I think that in the rush to restock shelves some quality control might have fallen through the cracks. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up.
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 56 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 341 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 452 Current Events & Breaking News
- 47 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.3K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 508 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 38 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 517 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 391 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 103 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter