Comfort foods

RustBeltCowgirl
RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Winter is here (at least for those of us in the northern hemisphere) and time to think about comfort foods.

Here's an interesting list.

Got any to add?

Tagged:

Comments

• Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 117 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

My favorite Comfort Food?

Anything that goes with BOURBON!😋

(Back on topic...)

We make a Modified Quickie Version of Shepherd's Pie;

Ground Sirloin,

Packaged Brown Gravy Mix and Worcestershire Sauce

Can of Corn or English Peas

Instant Mashed Potatoes

Brown the ground beef, add the packaged gravy and Worcestershire sauce and can of corn or peas. Prepare the instant mashed potatoes and add to the top of the ground beef mix in a casserole dish. Bake at low heat for about 20 minutes (300 degrees F)

Pairs well with Bourbon!

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one is a little odd to other people, but I grew up eating this and have always loved it. Always reminds me now of good times as a kid.

Cream Cheese and olives. Chop the olives with the pimientos medium course. Combine with cream cheese and enough olive juice to make it creamy and spreadable. We served on crackers for snacks or made sandwiches for lunch. Of course there were also times I would sneak it by spoonfuls right from the dish I loved it so much.

• Mashed potatoes with cooked and minced kale. Sausages cooked with the kale.

• DurwardPless
    DurwardPless Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

No matter what season, ice cream is my number one comfort food.

DDP

• Acequiamadre
    Acequiamadre Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

In New Mexico: Posole and Carne Adovada. Sopapillas, but I get those from the local restaurant so I don't have to deep fry them!

• Sharie
    Sharie Posts: 276 ✭✭✭
  • Wendy
    Wendy Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

For the winter season, my comfort food is Squash Bisque. I make mine with apples and blend it smooth and creamy.

My favorite winter drink is warm cocoa!

• soeasytocraft
    soeasytocraft Posts: 237 ✭✭✭

Mine is chocolate! Seems like I'm needing a lot of comfort lately! 😉

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

chocolate and wine - and not just when it's cold outside😊

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

Homemade bread and butter!

Anything rich and spicy is also pretty high on my list; curry, spicy casseroles, chili(especially with cheese or peanut butter), homemade pizza, etc.

Chocolate of course, and homemade cookies.

Coffee and earl grey(but not together)

@vickeym My mom used to make a cream cheese, olive, and bacon dip a few times of year. It was always my favorite. She got the recipe from my Grandma(her mother-in-law) though I never remember Grandma making it when we visited.

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭✭

@vickeym Oh, I LOVE that! Haven't had it in a long time---glad you reminded me!

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭✭

A big pot of beans with cornbread. My grandmother always used a cast iron(?) pan that had a mold for several corn sticks. They were so crispy!! Yum

• burekcrew86
    burekcrew86 Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

I’m a soup gal, so for me, comfort food is a big old pot of homemade soup. It is especially great this time of year with winter weather settling in.

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

If I could still eat gluten, my comfort food of choice would be shrimp toast. Yum!!! Followed by a little plum wine, that would put me right in my teenage days. But now, back in the real world, pizza with shrimp or langostinos and cider (gluten free of course) puts a smile on my face every time.

• lewis.mary.e
    lewis.mary.e Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

Comfort food for me tends to be a one-pot- meal. Hearty soup, Shepherd's Pie, lasagna. Something hot and filling.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

blevinandwomba water2world I've never known anyone else who ate cream cheese and olives. I love them , and after talking about it here I think I need to get some made and soon. LOL