tomato onion lentil dip- really good!
So I tried a new recipe this week and it is seriously one of the best things I've ever made. I started with this recipe, but I made a couple of changes. https://www.cookinglight.com/recipes/smoky-red-lentil-hummus
I caramelized a couple of very finely chopped onions, and instead of the 1 tbs. tomato paste it calls for, I made a batch of this minus the herbs https://www.budgetbytes.com/not-sun-dried-tomato-sauce/ and put half of it in. You really should try the not-sun-dried sauce even if you don't want to make this dip; you basically "brown" tomato paste in oil and it makes it so much more flavorful.
Also, I didn't bother using the food processor. Red lentils cook down to a puree, so I just stirred it all together when done. If you don't want chunks of onion and/or don't want to mince your onion(I actually aquired a bag of shaved red onions from our sub party at work. They looked like they were cut on a mandoline or deli slicer.) it might be worth using it.
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 355 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 527 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter