Beyond Vanilla Extract
I am having the worst time not erasing this post today. Ugh. Round three.
Official vanilla extract is 6 beans/1 c. (250ml) of vodka. I don't know if the ratios in these recipes are good enough to pass for a strongly flavored extract or just a flavored alcohol. But, it is a place to start.
These following recipes are done with an instant pot/pressure cooker.
Generally, you mix the ingredients, cap & shake it once a day for 6 weeks, not unlike a tincture. I imagine that these recipes can be treated in much the same way with a little tweaking.
I am not sure I am an advocate of the almond, ahem, peach pit extract. I want to try recipes with the real almonds first. My bought extract lists "oil of bitter almond," so I may need to search for a definition for that.
Anyway, I think this link is for the maple extract (but be wary...read the comments below the post...this one doesn't always work using this method).
There are quite a few more extract ideas where this came from. Don't be hesitant to look for more on this site or anywhere else. If something has a higher ratio of dry goods to alcohol, I would say that that is the one to try.
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 354 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 527 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter