Winter Foraging

The Herbal Academy just put out this article on Winter Foraging. Not all of these are possible in my area. The ground is frozen hard so digging roots isn't possible. The bears get all the hawthorns long before winter. And the squirrels get ALL the hazelnuts before they are ready.

Links in here to recipes as well.

Any other suggestions for winter foraging?

Comments

• MaryRowe
    MaryRowe Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭

I wish....I went out to my woods yesterday looking for anything I could find. Saw any number of fat and prosperous looking squirrels, who obviously felt no guilt about leaving nothing for me....I suppose if times get hard squirrel stew is always a possibility....

I did gather a bit of shed shagbark hickory bark for syrup, found a few black walnuts the squirrels hadn't gotten around to yet, but the persimmons, hickory nuts, hazel nuts, acorns and hawthorn berries are long gone down critters' gullets. Today is cold and wet but tomorrow is supposed to be milder; I may venture out a little further to see if there is anything at all left worth eating....

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I harvested wild rose hips today.

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

I've been snacking on borage that has graced us with an abundance this year. It's little blue flowers are a perfect pick-me-up. While it's only foraging in my front yard, they are self seeding so they are kinda wild.

• MaryRowe
    MaryRowe Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭

Green Deane has a good article with more ideas for winter foraging. He's almost inspired me to make that long cold hike out to my cattail pond and check for shoots....