Live horsetail plants found in stock

silvertipgrizz
silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2020 in Growing Medicinals

I finally found some horsetail and ordered it. they still have some in stock

I paid 34.97 with free shipping, fed x so should be much better shipping speed than with usps..

They also have many more gorgeous plants..

Comments

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

Shucks, it grows wild here. I just read an article about it: https://thegrownetwork.com/equisetum-hyemale-horsetail/ and am planning to transplant some to our property so I can be sure it's not contaminated by sprays etc.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

It Grows wild along the roadside here. I also planned to move it and get it decontaminated using herbs that clean.

It does spread here so I will probably grow it in containers.

Nice link @silvertipgrizz

• silvertipgrizz

@Denise Grant decontaminate becuase the horse tail plant absorbs contaminants? If that's what you mean, which herbs will do that?

Should I expect the same in the plants I bought? How would one know, esp when the plants look very healthy?

Thanks for any input re this.

• silvertipgrizz

@Annie Kate That page is what reminded me to look for it again. I would have bought it from our group but we don't get it very often seems like.

• Monek Marie

No horse tail does not have contaminants. Growing alongside roadways that get sperayed with winter deicer, dust and other roadway dirt makes me try and clean my plants I find along road edges.

I use comfrey to clean out plants. I just plant it with the plants I want to clean and sometimes add dried leaves to the soil. Comfrey is known for bring up minerals and being good for soil. I figure it helps the roots of the plants and clean healthier soil has to be a plus.

I found this link looking for plants that might help soil be healthier. Healthy soil makes a healthy happy plant ;)

https://nittygrittylife.com/herbs-to-improve-your-soil/

• silvertipgrizz

@Denise Grant I had forgotten that about comfrey. Thanks for reminding me and for the link.. 🐞

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,624 admin

I feel for everyone who is looking for plants and can't find them. Like @Annie Kate, we have it growing wild here. So many species that it is hard to tell which one you have (with the exception of E. hymale, of course). I have lived in several climates zones in my province and don't think I have ever been more than a few minutes away from a patch of horsetail.

I'm glad your were able to source some plants, @silvertipgrizz. I hope they do well for you. In my experience with where they grow in the wild, they like their feet wet.

• silvertipgrizz

@torey I have just the place for them. Tell me, do they tolerate being dug up and transplanted? I ask as when I finally move I will take them with me and I'm hoping they will tolerate being moved and survive to be planted again... any tips?

• Monek Marie

@silvertipgrizz They move and transplant very well. Here, I just dig them up and toss them in the ground.

For travleing I would put them in a plastic bag and wet them down until your trip is done. A cool darker placem ight be helpful too. If I cannot get a plant in tehr ground quickly I will eiher pot it up or heal it in tehr ground in a spacial place or transplant garden so I don;t forget.

Thanks for offering plant @torey . Sharing plants is special.

• Torey

I'm glad @Denise Grant was able to answer the question about transplanting. I have never had to transplant them as they are so readily available everywhere for me.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was shocked to find it for sale at a Grower's Outlet near me this spring. I paid $6 for a nice size plant. I figured if I killed it I didn't loose too much money. But guess what? It grew so well it have spread! I was excited to be able to pick some to dry. The only thing is my cats love to chew on it! I have to keep it well away from them so I have some for to grind and use.

• annflancan
    annflancan Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

Does the need to be planted in a pot to keep it from spreading?

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

I also have horsetail growing wild around my area. There are some fairly pristine areas around here to harvest but not real close to my house. Near my place it grows fairly abundantly on the shoulders of the road, but I'm not about to harvest from the roadside. I have tried "seeding" it in since I have some very boggy areas on my land, but since it gets mowed yearly, it has never established itself.

• Torey

@marjstratton Can you flag off the area so your plants don't get mowed?

• Monek Marie

It depends on the area and your climate. If it loves the spot it will go nuts and spread. I would test it to see if it spreads by putting it in an area you can check on and control.

Here it spreads but I don't care. If I put it closer to ther gouse it would be in a container

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

I decided to buy some dried horsetail since that might be the most reliable source. I looked on Mountain Rose Herbs. They carry it but it is Equisetum arvense. Furthermore they were out of stock. Then I looked at Dandelion Botanical company. They also had Equisetum arvense, but they had it in stock, so I ordered some.

I used to buy Equisetum in capsule form to help my bone density. It was so expensive that I really didn't take it very often. It was just labeled as horsetail, no scientific name.