In praise of grape juice
I always try to keep a bottle of organic Concord grape juice on hand for medicinal uses. It's the best thing I know of for hiding less-than-tasty herbs and extracts and getting them into children. Just a little bit (a tablespoon or two) is usually adequate. Dispensing in a tiny, cute cup helps too.
An old, country doctor (truly!) told me about another use for grape juice. He recommended it for bouts of vomiting that left one weak and shaky. Because the sugar in grape juice is mostly glucose, a wee bit of grape juice under the tongue will allow some sugar to enter the blood stream while bypassing the GI tract. This can help bring someone around who's exhausted from being sick.
I picked up a bottle of grape juice today and thought I would pass this on. Feel free to file it under "interesting to know- hope I never need it"!
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 35 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 355 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 530 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter