Since the garden is quiet this time of year, I have been revisiting hand sewing. I have found that I love to sit in a sunny window in the morning and sew. The morning light seems much easier on my eyes for sewing and I play inspirational music while I sit and sew for an hour or so. I suppose I could listen to a podcast or something, but I like listening to calming music like hymns and Christmas carols . It's becoming a very precious part of my day when I forget the cares of the world.
I just finished a pair of felted wool slippers and next I'm going to try a handkerchief. My favorite blouse is too worn to wear anymore, but there are still good sections of fabric. I have looked up a tutorial for making a rolled hem and I will give that a try. Of course, there is the wonderful art of mending to consider as well.
I do have a sewing machine and use it frequently, but doing these small projects by hand is proving to be quite satisfying.
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 56 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 341 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 452 Current Events & Breaking News
- 47 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.3K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 509 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 38 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 517 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 391 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 103 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter