Mangosteen

Mangosteen is a fruit from Southeast Asia. It's known for being an anti-inflammatory. It also may have anti-cancer properties and help with weight loss. It can also help maintain healthy blood sugar levels.

Any experience with mangosteen?

Tagged:

Comments

• Acequiamadre
    Acequiamadre Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

An acquaintance gave us some seeds to grow so I too, am interested.

I have the seeds but have not yet done the research to grow them. They also gave me some tea which was delicious.

• Sharie
    Sharie Posts: 276 ✭✭✭

I only have experience eating it. They call it the Queen of Fruits. I hope to grow some once I get my land a little more established. It grows near the coast here so perhaps it really needs the heat and humidity like in Asia but I'll try it anyway.

• happy-trails
    happy-trails Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

It's delicious! I usually find it in Asian markets. When you get to the actual fruit at the center, it's about half the size of what the entire fruit looked like... it looks like a milky white mandarin orange. Very expensive for a small amount, but yes, outstanding health benefits! I believe Genesis Today makes an immunity blend with mangosteen, açaí, goji, and noni berry! I really enjoyed it, but I'm sure there are better mangosteen supplements out there, with higher quality and more concentrated nutrition.

• stephanie447
    stephanie447 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

I've just started using a mangosteen powder where I mix it with a green drink I have. I haven't noticed any particular difference with it yet so we'll see. The powder I am using includes the rind, which is supposed to be where all the good stuff is.

• AdrienneHew
    AdrienneHew Posts: 94 ✭✭✭

I love mangosteen. I just plucked a seed from a fruit recently. Investigating how best to germinate it now. From what I understand, it's pretty fickle to grow even once established hence the price.

• stephanie447

It'd be nice to try to actual fruit! All I know is the powder!

• AdrienneHew
    AdrienneHew Posts: 94 ✭✭✭

@stephanie447 , it's really nice. Looks like a head of garlic on the inside, but flavor is sort of sweet-tart -- like a grape, but fruitier. It can have a bit of bitter tinge to it due to the husk you need to remove it from, so if that's on your fingers, you're gonna get that slight bitterness. The season only lasts a few weeks and the fruit doesn't last all that long once picked. The husk actually starts pliable, then gets tough as it ages.

• stephanie447

That sounds good. The supplement I use keeps the husk as it has health properties so maybe that's why it doesn't taste super sweet.