Willow twigs as a rooting hormone?

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,633 admin

Some great ideas here. And, yes, willow water makes a great rooting hormone.

I don't know about the diaper thing, though. From what I have seen with disposable diapers is that they have a perfume in them (I'm not sure what) and that they have plastic that I don't think is good for plants.

I have started saving wine corks as drainage filler for pots. I just hate wasting them, they are light and have nothing toxic to add to the soil.

• MaryRowe
    MaryRowe Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭

I didn't know about the willow water, that's a great tip. And coffee filters are great for so many things, like drying seeds you want to save--the seeds don't stick to them as much as they do to paper towels or other things I've tried.

But DO NOT try the plastic milk jug ollas. I thought of that one also and tried it once. Really bad idea. The plastic degrades quickly, turns brittle, then fractures at the touch into very sharp shards that become a mess to clean out of your garden beds!

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

Willow water is a great starter. I have used it for years and no longer buy any rooting powder. I love saving money.

Many people use ther diaper in hanging baskets and it does make a difference in watering but the chemicals in the beads or pads bother me, even for flowers. I am sure it contaminates the sopil and how you decontaminate it? (Comfrey?) I have no idea. I definitely would not use for veggies or anything you eat.

I love reading all these tips. Some are great some you question but it alwasy makes you think outside the box and ofter triggers a new idea

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ollas work nice, particularly in arid dry areas but they can cost!

A cheap Olla can be made using two clay pots glued together. I can find them at garage sales either free or for 25 cents around here.

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the list @RustBeltCowgirl!

I love the idea of willow water. This way I can start a whole bunch more elderberries!! :)

And duh to the acid/base test. As a homeschooling mom I should have figured that one out instead of buying the test kits.

I use coffee filters with an elastic to cover my sourdough.