I made a "big" mistake

Monek Marie
Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

A seed catalog came and I opened it. I have visions of my bank account being drained.

I do have a large stash of seeds but unique and different seeds alwasy catch my eye and this seed catog has them, sigh...

One garden I had planned on this year was a garden that would encourage children to grow. Bright colored and unusual veggies and edible flowers will do that. So its children garden design time and - if we have more flexibility in food markets - unique veggies that will make people think outside the box. It looks like both garden areas will have to be expanded

The seed catalog I looked at had several different recipes, one for a sunflower meal using a fuill sunflowe head and a recipe for Celosia flower leaves.

I am actually glad the catalog came today. My mind had major brain fog today which makes me sad so I can drift into a world of seeds and enjoy!

Comments

• Monek Marie

One thing I like wioth a children's garden is lots and lots of color. Chilren love to try unique color veggies and gardens with surprises hidden in every box or turn.

I may live in Pennsylvania but I still grow red cotton in containers just because I can. Its challenging but kids love it.

I usually have a sunflower house or tunnel too

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seed catalogs are dangerous in my hands also. My husband sighs whenever I get one.

This coming spring I was planning on letting my youngest two children (ages 2 and 3) help in the garden for the first time. I am planning on giving them a small patch to grow things that they enjoy eating. I think I will also make use of your idea @Denise Grant and add some extra colorful vegetables that I want to encourage them to eat. Thank you for the idea!

• Monek Marie
    edited December 2020

@Michelle D For many years I have given my niece and nephews a space in the garden or small container gardens to take home. They would beam when their crops had produce.

One year my nephew David had a lower right area of the garden. It could be damp buit was still usable (sometimes I put the plants that needed moisute more down there. Hw would garden and also use a small backhoe toy. I knew he was digging a small trench and what could have been a vert small pond (12 inches) - well he hit water!

I also hear, "You don't really need any more seeds do you?"

• Michelle D

@Denise Grant you can never have too many seeds! 😁

• My children all have there own growing space where they can try to grow what they want and can suggest what to grow in the main beds.

Seed catalogs are banned at my house 🤣 too much money draining from everywhere.

Even with the lovely Christmas present of seeds I am tempted to buy more.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Michelle D I third that you can never have too many seeds!

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

My daughter (adult) gets a worried look when she sees me with a seed catalog. She asks me if I'm going to be reasonable so I'm not overdoing it. 😂 She does have a point but its an addiction I guess. Is there a 12 step program for it? Let me know where they meet so I don't accidentally wander into it 😂😂😂

• Jens the Beekeeper
    Jens the Beekeeper Posts: 651 admin

@seeker.nancy - Central Texas

1. Order seed catalog

2. Open seed catalog

3. Write down which seeds you want

4. Go through the catalog again to see if you did not miss any interesting or new seeds

5. Write them down too.

6. Order

7. Work extra shifts to get the money in your account

8. Anticipation while waiting for the seeds to arrive

9. Find the package in your mailbox as envelops are too small and make a lucky dance

10. rip package open and indulge in the seeds

11. Plan where for heavens sake you can cramp in one more plant as the seeds will not fit in your growing space

12. Repeat 😂

The only 12 step program that makes any sense for seed addiction.

• Michelle D

@Jens i didn't realize that I was already on the 12 step program! I thought I needed help! 🤣🤣🤣

• Monek Marie

3 is difficult for me as the pen or pencil refuses to write on paper that ha been drooled on.

10 I add throwing seeds on bed and rolling on them.

I also have to look at seed packets several times and often have to open them Why? No idea but it comforts me

nice list @Jens

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭

@Jens LOL LOVE this 12-step program!!

@Jens I love that! My daughter just ask me what I was laughing about, so I told her. She laughed and said "I'm glad I can provide fodder for your group". I laughed and good her that yes, she did 😂

• happy-trails
    happy-trails Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

Denise Grant - Your post makes me excited too! Dreaming of this year's garden and sunshine while I endure the winter in upstate NY! You must know what that's like living in PA. May I ask what seed catalog you're referring to? Sounds fun! And red cotton? Wow - so interesting!

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Denise Grant "A seed catalog came and I opened it. I have visions of my bank account being drained."

It always surprises me when I see just how much I spend on seeds and plants each spring. It's in the hundreds of dollars. Seeds are cheap, but I tent to buy a lot. Plants (starts) are NOT cheap, and buying a few raspberries, tomatoes, etc. adds up quickly.

If you get a good crop, it's a good investment. But of course not everything will produce. I put in two honeyberries about 3 years ago and while the plants look fine, I have yet to get a single berry off of them. Hopefully this year this will be established well enough to fruit.

Some years my carrots shine, but last year I didn't get any worth talking about. Some years I am drowning in tomatoes, others I only have enough to eat fresh. I have put in a fair amount of raspberries over the past few years, but I am still not getting enough to make jam or freeze, only enough for fresh eating.

• Monek Marie
    edited January 2021

@happy-trails I am looking at baker Creek. I also enjoy Pine Tree and Botanical Interests. I seem to find different seeds in those and that is what I like to grow.

Yes, Our weather is probably quite a bit alike. I am just below the snow belt (only a few miles) so we usually miss the big dumps. If we have sunshine I deal with winter easier but this climate is probably why I push the growing seasons. The miracle of growth and see sprouting always makes me smile.

I have been lucky to barter and share raspberry plants and other brambles and small plants. If by chance you ever need a day long trip, head down, I'll dig you up pants to take home.

@VermontCathy Yes, I still spend hundreds in plants. I keep saying it will be better next year and maybe I have. I guess buying makes me happy and get rid of some of the winter blues.

It would be nice if planting and gardens were more predictable wouldn't it? Tomatoes are really picky getting a good crop here. The nights tend to be a bit too cool. I have started covering them at night and may try growing them in a hoop house this summer. I hear blight comes from ther soil and watering so hoophouses and green houses are supposed to help that issue. Tomato blight is bad here and its disappointing to see a crop go bad in two days.

I grow most of my own seedlings now but I still have to pick up something unique. I justify it by how much joy it gives me for a few months. And I try to stay out of greenhouses at times ;)

We do have a lot of amish greenhouse businesses here and they are much cheaper!~

This year I either need to buy apples trees or swap for some

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭

I really enjoy looking through seed catalogues. I ordered my seeds early for next year (God willing I'll be able to get a garden in), in anticipation of possible shortages.

• Silkiemamuska
    Silkiemamuska Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

@Jens Thank you for the 12 step program! I feel so much better knowing that I am UNFAILINGLY following the steps every single year!!!

• DurwardPless
    DurwardPless Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

Toys come in all shapes and sizes.

• annflancan
    annflancan Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

It is a wonderful feeling when the seed catalog come in the mail. I go through it front to back at least three times before the writing down, planning, and ordering begin. First the veggies, then the herbs, then the flowers, and lastly the fruit. Most of the time I just admire the supply section knowing very well that the budget has been blown. I sit back relax and patiently await the arrival of the seeds. Then.......then hatchery catalog arrives......oye!

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭

Seed catalogs are what i live for😳

• Monek Marie

Me too @nicksamanda11 . A winter day goes so much faster and so does my bank account

I got my order together for Baker Creek Monday but when I went to order they had temporarily taken the site down because of Covid quarantine on some staff and an abundance of orders. The message said they would bring the site back up Thursday at 5 pm. I was bummed! I am so like a kid in a candy store with seed catalogues lol.

• Michelle D

@seeker.nancy - Central Texas the Baker Creek site is back up already. Order away!

• Michelle D

I pulled out my Johnny's catalog and told my husband that I was going to spend all of the money. He responded with "I dare you to!" 🤔 What a dangerous thing to say lol

• Monek Marie

@Michelle D Doesn't that mean yes and go ahead?

Enjoy all those seeds you are getting ;)

• Michelle D

@Denise Grant he only said because he knows that I'm the responsible one! I am going to order more seeds than I probably would have had he not said it.

Thanks 😊