Holistic Veterinarian Explains How to Source Vitamin C

Marjory Wildcraft
Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin
edited January 2021 in General Health

When was the last time you went to a doctor who grew his own medicine?

I'm back again with Doc Jones. He's such a great source of wisdom on healing and growing.

While filming in his medicinal garden, we discussed the importance of Vitamin C.

Did you know that primates and guinea pigs are the only mammals that don't make their own Vitamin C?

And you can source the vitamin from many herbs and plants besides citrus. 

Sailors used to eat sauerkraut, cranberries, lemons, and tarragon to avoid Scurvy. Do you know of any other good sources for Vitamin C?

Share your stories with us below ⬇️

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Glad he mentioned pine needles for Vitamin C. Conifers grow almost everywhere. Most conifers can be used for tea or used in other foods. Spruce needles are particularly high in Vitamin C, although I prefer the taste of pine or fir. There are a few to be avoided and pregnant women should avoid needle tea.

Berries are high in Vitamin C as well as antioxidants. I make a raspberry shrub. Its not cooked so no loss of Vitamin C. Also adds electrolytes to help with hydration. Mixed with water or club soda, ts a great beverage to have on a hike. Good made with blackberries as well.

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭

I buy it as ascorbic acid and mega dose it by putting it in tea or water.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@torey I also make a raspberry shrub. Delicious! I hever thought of blackberry. I will have to add that to my growing list

I gather wild rosehips.

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love using tamarind in drinks and soup. Doc Jones mentions that vitamin C isn't heat-stable, which explains why the tamarind goes in the soup after you turn the heat off.

• soeasytocraft
    soeasytocraft Posts: 237 ✭✭✭

This was great! With this whole Covid scare I've been thinking about my intake of vitamins C. Because of my sensitivity to corn I've learned ascorbic acid is corn based. Also absorbing it can be an issue for people. I was particularly pleased to hear dried rose hips can be ground up without removing the pesty hairs. Our wild roses are plentiful but small making hair removal slow and tedious.

I imagine adding the powder to anything that's not boiling would be a good way to consume.