Cloudberries

Monek Marie
Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just read about this fruit. It sounds interesting, I has certain growing requirements. It will grow in New York so it may grow for me. I live right on the PA/NY line.

It says it will grow to zone 2 so this may interest a few here. Morning Chores had an article on it so I had to do a bit of research

https://morningchores.com/growing-cloudberries/

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,641 admin

In my part of the world Cloudberries (Rubus chamaemorus) are more frequently found north of 55°, but can be found in some locations further south. It is a circumboreal plant so found around the northern part of the northern hemisphere. They were (and still are) an important indigenous food plant. In Eastern NA, they are quite common in Newfoundland and the Maritimes and grow as far south as New York and Maine. It is also known as Bakeapple in Labrador and Newfoundland. Some of the wild food companies produce jam and preserves. You can find liqueurs and wines, too.

It prefers a wet, almost boggy soil.

This is my medicinal info about Cloudberry.

Antioxidant. Anti-scorbutic. Astringent. Antimicrobial. Infusions of the leaves will have similar astringent properties to Raspberry. An infusion of the leaves may help with UTI’s or diarrhea. Extracts of Cloudberry have been shown to have high inhibitory levels against E. coli, S. aureus, Salmonella enterica and Listeria monocytogene. In addition, R. chamaemorus fruit extracts have been shown in one study to be as effective as metronidazole in anti-parasitical activity against Giardia.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the information on Cloudberries.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,519 admin
    edited January 2021

More information on these sites:

Supposedly it grows wild in my province, and I have seen a picture of this fruit before. Now I just have to figure out how far I would have to drive to find it and if it would just be worth finding it in a native plants nursery.

This Week's Leaders