Free Flower Essence webinar

MaryRowe
MaryRowe Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭

I just saw this on my email from the School for Aromatic Studies

I've been meaning to ask if anyone makes/uses flower essences here. The last two stress-filled years before I retired, I really got into the Bach flower essences and found them very helpful in dealing with stress and related issues. But then retirement turned out to be the best remedy for a toxic work environment, and I kind of let the flower essences slide after I retired. Been thinking about getting back into that though.

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@MaryRowe I'm signed up! I have used flower essences before including Bach and Australian Bush. Yes, they are excellent remedies for assisting with stress, anxiety, fears, etc. I have made my own a few times.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

signed up. ty

Love Bach

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @MaryRowe I have just signed up for it too!

• Suburban Pioneer
    Suburban Pioneer Posts: 339 ✭✭✭

I've used Bach, FES and several other brands, and loved them all. Most recently, I put Rescue Remedy in the water bucket of our goose, who lost his ate to a predator attack. He and I were both pretty devastated, so I bought a bottle and split it between us. I think it helped me, and within a few days, he started perking up as well and is now almost back to normal. I don't know how geese mourn so maybe the RR was just a placebo and he would have gotten back to life in a few days anyway, but it certainly didn't hurt. I've had some very interesting experiences on flower essences that I know were directly attribtutable to taking them, and not explainable by random chance or coincidence. I'm a huge fan of them.

• Suburban Pioneer

Mary, how did you make them? Which ones did you make, and did you feel they worked well enough to justify the effort? I'd love to try making some myself. How do we come to know which flowers are for what?

• Suburban Pioneer

To clarify "which flowers are for what", yes, we can look up the descriptions given for known flowers, but what about flowers (such as many intermountain west natives) about which little is known, energy-wise?

• Torey

@Suburban Pioneer I think making your own flower essence is well worth the effort. Its very simple to make flower essences. This is a link to the Herbal Academy's how to make a flower essence page. https://theherbalacademy.com/homemade-flower-essence/

For plants that haven't already been identified as to their energetic properties, if you know the herbal properties of the plant that might be a bit of an indication as to how the plant could be used as an essence. New flower essences are primarily a matter of intuition, at least for me. I will try to get to know the plant. Sit with it for a bit. See how and where it grows, how it moves with the sun (or not), how it is situated with other plants. Doctrine of signatures. Then take a dose and see how it makes you feel. Keep notes.

Last time I made a flower essence we were on holidays with friends and visited a remote warm spring. There were monkey flowers all over the meadow below the spring. Warm summer day and the setting was perfect.

• MaryRowe

@Suburban Pioneer --just to clarify, it was @torey who mentioned making the essences--I'm still at the "intending to try it myself" stage too. But it appears to be as simple as infusing the blossoms in spring water and sunlight for several hours (--been awhile since I read about this, so I'm just scrounging my memory for the details...)

As to the effect of the essences, I am a strong believer. My workplace was really toxic; I would come home a stressed-out emotional mess almost nightly. Regular use of the Bach remedies helped me calm down, regain perspective and just generally deal with it. As I calmed down emotionally, my blood pressure went down, and various health issues receded, either disappearing or at least becoming manageable. Bach insisted that physical health problems were the manifestation of emotional problems, that the emotions were the root of everything, and if you could balance them out, you could ease or prevent the health issues. And in my case I found that there is a whole lot to that idea.

In terms of how to know which flowers for what, people in the U.S. have been working on this for some time now, and there are guides that include many American flowers. An older one, Flower Essence Repertory, by Patricia Kaminski and Richard Katz, published by the Flower Essence Society in California, is one that I have on my shelf, but I'm sure there are others.

Bach himself seems to have developed his original essences from a combination of scientific research, folklore, and a heavy reliance on intuition, plant communication, and experiment. It takes time, but I think that is the only way to add more flowers to the list.

• MaryRowe

@torey You posted while I was typing, so I'm just now seeing your response, but it certainly reminds me of descriptions I read of how Bach did it! He was a formally trained medical professional who practiced at a hospital in London, then switched to homeopathy if I remember correctly. But then decided homeopathy wasn't the answer either, and so retired to the country and developed his flower essences. He knew a lot about drugs and herbs by then, but still relied primarily on his intuition and direction connection with the plants he was working with to develop his remedies.

• Torey

Just a reminder. The webinar is later today.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

Signed up then realized it was earlier today. Hope there is a recording.

• MaryRowe

I hope so too! The content was fascinating, but her monotone presentation was hard to stick with at times. Between that and three rambunctious kittens determined to get my attention, I got distracted several times and missed parts of it. So I'd like to give it another try. I knew nothing about the Australian flowers, but they seem to have an impressive range of applications. Also, in the Q&A part at the end, she remarked that the Bach essences are gentler and slower-working by comparison, the Australian flowers are much faster in their effects, "like Bach on steroids" in her experience. I found the Bach essences pretty effective myself, so now I am really curious about the Australian flowers.

• Torey

I have the same comment about the Bush essences. I find they are very potent. While Bach essences work very well, I was really impressed with the immediate reaction to Bush. I haven't used any single remedies but have used Emergency, Calm & Clear and Transition. I'm looking forward to trying some of the others now that I know a bit more.

I think they mentioned that there might be slides available. I hope so.

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

Darn it, I missed the timing!

I have used Bach Rescue Remedy with good results on myself, with several dogs, and I am about to try it with a cat in heat.

Don't really understand HOW it works, and if it's just the placebo effect, I'm OK with that!

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was able to sign up, Yay! I've only recently heard about these. But am intrigued by what they can do from the research I've found about them. I can't wait to give them a try. And I'm so glad to be able to have access to more information about them, too.

@MaryRowe Thank you for sharing.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I made it to the lecture about 45 minutes late but it was great. Another area to study and learn

• Torey

Just got the link for the replay. https://vimeo.com/504401927