Diner food with a touch of Julia Child

judsoncarroll4
judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

So, basically... my tastes run between a greasy spoon diner at 4 AM and real French, Italian, etc. This menu WORKS!!!!

Minute steaks in the style of Julia Child:

Beef, cut against the grain, about 1/2 inch thick... pan fried in oil, browned well on each side

Add finely chopped onions, garlic and mushrooms. Let the mushrooms and onions just brown, then add a spoonful of butter and some chopped parsley.

Toss in a glass of red wine and simmer until the wine is reduced to a nice, viscous sauce.

Meanwhile, par boil a couple of potatoes of 10-15 minutes. Cool with cold water. Slice into fries. Toss them in oil on a baking pan. Bake until brown. That seems to be 15 minutes at 375, turn and go another 15 minutes.

When the fries are done, plate and either season with salt or Creole seasoning (my preference). Serve the steak, mushrooms and onions over the fries, with the wine sauce, and some ketchup on the side.

... then, wonder why you ever ate anything else!

Comments

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a recipe my dad's would love since it has some of his favorite things - steak, garlic, red wine & fries.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

I tis kind of "man food", as in not just a light salad or rotisserie chicken, but I doubt many women would turn up their nose at it! I liked how Julia would say, "This is not diet food... if you are on a diet, you have no business even discussing this."