Citrus Cannellini cake- gluten-free, dairy-free and honey sweetened

blevinandwomba
blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

So I made this cake today

I halved the recipe, added some citrus peel to the batter(meyer lemon and calamondin), used vanilla extract instead of seeds, and skipped the frosting. I baked it in a 6 inch pan for 30 minutes.

It's really nice- mildly sweet, pleasant, moist but not too heavy. I can taste the beans, but I didn't find it off-putting. We had it for dessert tonight, but I might have some for breakfast with my morning tea.

For the record, I have made black bean brownies; I have not been enthusiastic about them. My mom and I agreed that this is much nicer than the ones we've tried.

Comments

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

I'll try this but will not tell my mother what I put in it. Looks great!

Paybacks - she did that to us when we were growing up . My mother does not like beans ;)

• blevinandwomba

My dad just tried it- I told him it was a cannellini cake, I just didn't tell him that a cannellini was a bean. He wasn't as enthusiastic as my mom, but he liked it.

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭

That sounds intriguing! My sister has made chickpea cookies before that were actually very good. I'm on an extremely low carb diet so I'm not sure if I could have it but man it looks delicious!

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks good. But, it's in the "don't tell Dad" category.

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like it might be pretty tasty. I've tried several black bean brownie recipes. Some were ok and some were down right terrible. But this recipe holds promise. I might make a few "tweeks" myself @blevinandwomba, it shows promise. Thanks for sharing.😊

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

I will definitely try this recipe, next time I get to town to get the almonds.

I have a recipe for black bean brownies that is awesome. I have never tried any other recipe just cause this one is so good. I took two batches of brownies to a function a while ago. Black bean and regular. The black bean ones went first and I was asked for more even though the regular brownies were still there.

So this is it. Someone gave me this on a recipe card and I don't know where she got it. So if I am plagiarizing please forgive me.

1 19 oz can black beans, well rinsed and drained or 2 ½ cups cooked black beans (from dried)

2 eggs

1 egg white

3 tablespoons oil

¼ cup cocoa powder

⅔ cup sugar

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

½ cup dark baking chocolate, chopped

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 8″x8″ pan with parchment paper and spray it with oil. In a food processor, combine all of the ingredients except the chocolate chips. Blend until it is a very smooth consistency. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. (it will seem runny for a brownie) Sprinkle the chocolate evenly over the top of the batter. Bake for about 35-40 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Allow them to cool completely in the pan before lifting out with the parchment. Use a sharp serrated knife with a sawing motion or they will crush. 

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@torey Thanks for sharing this recipe. I'll have to give it a shot this week for the kids for school days. I just cooked up a bunch of black beans.😁

• Torey

I should have mentioned that I use palm sugar when making the black bean brownie recipe. Works fine. I haven't tried it with any other sweeteners, though.

• blevinandwomba
    edited January 2021

I just thought to add- 3 1/2 ounces almonds = 1 c. and 3 1/2 ounces coconut oil =1/2 c. At least, if I did it right.

@torey well, maybe I'll give the brownies another try.

• blevinandwomba

I made the cake again today, and this time I made some frosting. I'd been wanting to try an aquafaba recipe for a while, so I made my own version of this https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-magic-vegan-icing-236214 For those unfamiliar with aquafaba, it's the liquid from a can of beans( or sometimes beans cooked from scratch), and certain kinds can be whipped and used as an egg white substitute. Chickpea is the default, but as I had to drain a can of cannellini anyhow, it made sense to use that.

I used half the liquid from one can ( about 1/3 c?). I added a tablespoon of honey, a pinch of cream of tartar, 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract, the juice of one calamondin ( 2 tsp?) and a dash of salt, and started whipping in with an egg beater. I gradually added 1 tbs. of raw granulated sugar as the liquid started to get stiff. Once it was to soft peaks I whipped in about 1/2 tbs. avocado oil, and served it with the cake. (You could skip the oil if you wanted. It tasted fine before I added it.) The recipe I based it on said it could take 15-20 minutes of beating, but my small amount only took about five minutes. It tasted like a citrusy, barely sweet meringue- there was no bean taste at all. I refrigerated the leftovers, but it had mostly deflated and separated when I checked on it in a few hours. It still tasted good.

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing. I will have to try this!

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing I will be trying this without telling anyone what's in it :)

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

This sounds like it will be fabulous! I haven't eaten cake in years as it's usually just awful and tasteless, but this sounds yummy.

• blevinandwomba

So @torey, you have succeeded in changing my mind about black bean brownies. I tried your recipe last weekend and they were excellent.

• Torey

@blevinandwomba Glad you had a good experience with these black bean brownies.