simple and effective watering systems

Monek Marie
Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just finished the Simple and Effective Watering systems for small animals on the academy done by @Marjory Wildcraft .

I have been planning to do a watering system for my animals so that I can go away for a few days and not worry as much, Thank you for the class. Great tips

Its very difficult to leave your animals and have someone reliable watch them. I try to simplify my areas as much as possible for less work but I have quite a few animals so it takes time.

This will be this weekends project. Now to find a cheap or free barrel!

Comments

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

Hey @Denise Grant post up some photos once you've finished it.

I find these so useful. I always like to have at least two of them for redundacy.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is what we are planning for our pigs this spring. It won't help in the winter (-20 to -30) But will simplify watering the rest of the year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2bOBtzHwSA

• Monek Marie

@vickeym I have been thinking of adding pigs. My concern was I hear they like to get out and on my road that would be a major issue (very high traffic)

I am not as cold as you but I do have to think about freezing water issues in the winter. The waterer seems to be quite nice. I do think I would us two nipples

With my chickens If I use a deep bed method the waterers stay just warm enough they do not freeze. I the first year I had chcikens I did not do this and I was unthawing water all the time

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭

Cool! I think that's a great idea

• John
    John Posts: 163 ✭✭✭

Has anyone tried having a rain collector from their home or garage attached to the downspout and then having the water available for veggies, trees, flowers, shrubs, etc. been thinking about something of that nature for the home gardens.

• Monek Marie

@John Yes, I do that. I want to add a system like that to my coops. If I can combine @Marjory Wildcraft's idea for watering with a rain barrel that would be nice. I'm still figuring out the possible Freezing issue here but I may have worked that out.