Doilies

Monek Marie
Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love doilies. You don't see them out in most peoples homes anymore but I remember my grandmother and all her sisters always had them on the back of every piece of stuffed furniture, end tables and in the bedrooms. I would look at the beauty of all of them every time I visited.

I do remember my mother making one one time. It was almost 4 foot when it was pressed out.

I have the yarn to make one. I really should. Its one of those items and projects that are not done much any more but seeing one brings back wonderful memories of family and laid back times.

Did you family have handmade doilies or the crochet afghans? ( I still have some of my grandmother afghans)

Comments

• Monek Marie

My cats have made it a bit impossible to have many doilies out but I have framed a few up like art work. I still get to enjoy them and have flashbacks of my grandmother.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still have a large stash of doilies made by family or inherited from family. I also inherited a framed tatted one made by a great-aunt.

I have a piece of glass over my wooden dining tabletop. For many years, I displayed an assortment of doilies underneath the glass that were kept undamaged and clean.

I still love doilies, but keeping them out is more work than benefit at this time.

• Silkiemamuska
    Silkiemamuska Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

I love the attention to detail reflected in doilies, and well, anything that is a true craft and not mass produced. At some point in the future I will be inheriting quite a few really old ones and at that point plan on framing since they are so delicate. Keeping them framed vs used also makes dusting much easier!

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a crocheted bedspread of 8 sided patches with bobbles that my paternal grandmother made. It's currently packed in a safe place.

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

I actually love doilies. I think they are so beautiful. That is an art that I think should come back! I have one on our end table :).

• Monek Marie
    edited January 2021

@RustBeltCowgirl That bedspread sound like one my grandmother made. Its packed away in her hope chest.

My grandmother made a small velvet quilt. It was in very bad shape once I got it. I tried to save it but some of the material was just too warn. I made a smaller table run out of what I could.

I really enjoy the handmade items my family has made and that have been passed down. I also have about 50 of my grandmothers hand written favorite recipes. My cousin was going to burn them but I rescued them just in time

@karenjanicki I love them too. Such delicate beauty

• Monek Marie

@monica197 How lovely!!!

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

@Denise Grant I have kept my Grandmothers handmade doilies and the crochet afghans. Why did they place a doily on the heads of chairs and sofas?

• SherryA
    SherryA Posts: 314 ✭✭✭

My mother made beautiful doilies of all kinds. Some were crocheted and some tatted. I love them but I don't quite know what to do with them!

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SherryA I would suggest framing the ones that are the most special to you.

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

My grandmother also had tatted and crocheted doilies everywhere, protecting little tables under a lamp and on the back of the sofa. I think my sister inherited them, she gave me the beautiful napkins and tablecloths.

• Monek Marie

@SherryA I agree with @RustBeltCowgirl , and frame them. Thye make a wonderful addition to any room and it brings such memories when you look at them. I have made a collage by adding a few other special objects to go with them and a photo

• Monek Marie

@Tave I love tatting. I tried it once, the key word - once. I can crochet but tatting? Ouch. I had a real mess

We have a few pieces of my grandmothers tatting left.

My grandmother also had crocheted edges on all her pillowcases. As the pillow cases ages and were replaced we cut them off. I need to find a new purpose for those pieces

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Denise Grant, I saw what was involved with tatting and decided to stick with crochet:)

• Monek Marie

@Tave I learned my patience tolerance by trying tatting. It was not high!

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@teachercaryn

I think doilies were used on the backs and arms of chairs to keep the furniture protected from hair oils and dirt from arms and hands.

Doilies were put under items placed on tables to protect the wood from getting scratched.

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭

Oh I LOVE doilies! My grandmother made them (and taught me to crochet).

Remember the doilies that lamps etc were placed on----that were starched and the wet ruffle edge was placed around coke bottles to dry. I haven't seen anything like that in a long time! lol

• Monek Marie

@water2world My grandmother had some of those and I am sure they are in her hope chest here but just not starched. Starching a doilie was a a talent within itself.

• water2world

@Denise Grant Starching was just adding so much starch it looked like a thick glue UGH I helped her many times----Every so often, we washed them and they didn't even look dirty ! lol

If I was going to do it by myself, I think they would just remain flat.

• Monek Marie

@water2world My grandmother went lighter on the starch but it did keep them clean. My mother starched one she made and then stretched it. Stretched it so it covered a 4 foot circular table,

I have that one too

• water2world

@Denise Grant Oh Wow--That was some stretching! lol

Sounds like you have a treasure cove!!

• SherryA
    SherryA Posts: 314 ✭✭✭

My mother embroidered pillow cases and crocheted edges. I have quite a few of those still. They're beautiful.

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

I love crocheting. I'm currently doing a crochet along (done as a group, getting a new pattern for the next block every few days) and am considering another one. When I was younger I did a number of doilies and also a four foot dresser scarf that I still use on my antique vanity. Several years ago I bought a couple of bags of homemade doilies and such at the local thrift store. Some are in need of repair and others are still in great shape. If I'd had more money and less sense I probably would have bought every bag they had 😂

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

Oh that brings back memories - doilies. My great grandmothers both had doilies all over their houses. I never appreciated the craftswomanship of them at the time, but counted on their feel beneath my fingers every time I sat in the big chairs with arms. It was a comfort thing. I didn't inherit any of them, but I did learn how to crochet from my grandmother and received several of the heartfelt blanket prizes as baby gifts. The hours they put into making them are beyond counting as is their thoughtfulness in spending their energies to create such beautiful memories. They say smells bring one back to memories of childhood, but for me it's the tactile experience of doilies.

• Monek Marie

I take the damaged beyond repair doilies and turn them into something else.

a small clutche purse

part of a collage or wall hanging

sewn onto a quilt piece

sewn on a coat that does not get washed much

gathered flower that glue to keep form

there are many possibilities

• Monek Marie

@seeker.nancy - Central Texas LOl, I do dthat too. I just can't leave a bag of doilies at a thrift shop

• Monek Marie

@frogvalley ah, you took me back in time with those memories!~ Hugs

• soeasytocraft
    soeasytocraft Posts: 237 ✭✭✭

I agree with so much said about doilies! I love them too and like @Denise Grant have cats that caused me to put them away. I have l many many that have been passed down to me and have made a few in the past too.

I have them in display and china cabinets. Not all nicely starched but crunched up to spill out of various cups, bowls etc. A few on the shelf under pretty things. I just love nostalgia items! The world is so different now. It's great to keep memories alive.

• ltwickey
    ltwickey Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

Doilies and Afghans were a staple in my grandmother's home and have made into my home as a staple as well! I have started making and gifting to my daughter and some of her friends to hopefully pass on the tradition! Maybe get the younger generation interested in making their own...!?!?!

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many of my aunts and my grandmothers loved doilies and tatting. I have never made any but I have some of what my family handed down to me.