Planning for the seasons

Monek Marie
Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I first got my chickens I put my coop and pens up in the fall. I did take into consideration sun path and wind for cold winter months but I never thought about how I put the roof up (the snow would fall off the roof and either block the door if it was an icy mess or it would take me 20 to 30 minutes to shovel it out). I also needed to have my door up at least 6 inches to make room for snow falls. In my next coop there will be a half door and it will be up higher. Its been a while since we really had a snowy winter but its best to be prepared.

I would also build the coop area and small run on a mound, maybe 12 inches. Sometimes if we have a lot of snow the melt off want to back up into the pen run area. That has not happened in a few years but I would rather be prepared.

I also had the winter when we did have huge amounts of snow. It took me 30 or more minutes to get to the barn we had, shoveling out a path and the door. I had sheep in there. The border collie was all excited to see his buddies but the door was frozen shut. I went to the top of the barn and that door was also frozed shut at the bottom with an ice buildup. I knew my animals had plenty of hay and water and could probably be okay until the next day but what a disappointment,

This winter has been plan for the future around here, I set with a notebook and make notes and draw images to help me plan.

Weather, length of day, possible flooding are only a few things I plan for.

What would you do differently in your animal and garden areas?

Comments

• MaryRowe
    MaryRowe Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭

My mistake was forgetting that trees grow! Years ago when I chose the spot for my garden, it was between the house and a windbreak of saplings. Seemed like a good idea at the time--the house shaded the north end after 3PM, sparing half the beds the worst heat of the day, and the little trees to the north and east gave a bit of protection from the wind. Now, years later, those are beautiful big trees. But between them and the house, they shade most of the garden for much of the day. There's only a couple of beds left for sun-loving plants like peppers and tomatoes. I've had to build mini-gardens around the place in sunny spots for them.

Wish I'd cut those saplings years ago when I could still face up to doing it--they are such beautiful trees now that I can't bear to cut them down.....

• Monek Marie

@MaryRowe I took a landscaping course when I was about 17. They mentioned this was one of the biggest issues property owners would mention later on. Those cute tiny trees really grow!

I have a tree in the back I have to cut. I don't really want to but it shades the back terrace area and I know its a zone colder back there. Its a great place in summer but in winter its solid ice and creating a roof and ice issue. its a pine and has also developed a split top and is thinning so it does have to go. But anytime I cut a tree I replace it by at least two. I may also keep the stump and try to incorperate it into my next design. The stump will probably be 4 foot wide. It should make a nice table or maybe a carving. (Only issue with stumps is you have to make sure they do not become ant infested.)

• MaryRowe
    MaryRowe Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭

Right--the stumps can harbor termites once they start to age too. When I first bought this place, I had a cottonwood stump near the old house that seemed a perfect base for a table, and was too, till the blasted termites moved in, and from there it was an easy hike to the house for them.

I just hate to kill a tree too, but the squirrels plant acorns and black walnuts everywhere, and the trees seem to spring up in the worst possible places. There's a trio of young walnut trees growing up against the new house that I need to take out before they damage the foundation. Seems like they were tiny saplings, walking stick size, just the other day, but they are at least 10 feet now! I'm trying to figure out a good use for them before I do the deed though, so that I don't waste them.

I admire your commitment to plant at least two more for every tree you take out; that is a good practice. Not sure I could do that here though. The oaks, walnuts, elm and ash trees grow so thick around here that I'm hard pressed to find space enough for the fruit trees I want.

• marcy_northlightsfarm
    marcy_northlightsfarm Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

I too have trouble with flooding in my chicken yard. The chickens are in part of a large shed. The run off from the roof goes down accross the front and around the corner to the chicken yard. I use a different door to get in there during winter months. I had my husband put dirt fill in to divert the water away last summer. Most of the fill washed away by fall, so it didn't help much. Round two: I'll build it up some, then put a layer of plastic, then a few inches of dirt with grass seeded over.

I just finished building a large wooden box to house a water pump that keeps my heifer and horse barn watered. This is about 8 feet below ground. Last year I rebuilt the room that the pump was in. The pump keeps warm by a heat lamp attached to a thermostat. Last year I just threw a few pieces of lumber over the top and used old feed sacks to fill the gaps. Not a very safe set up. Now it looks nice and professional. Still a little work to do on the sump pump that keeps it dry down there. That's next summer's project.

• Monek Marie
    edited January 2021

@MaryRowe I am lucky, termites are very rare here but with a stump you have to watch for any bugs. Time will tell what I decide to do but the tree has to go before it falls on the house. It has really thinned in the last two years.

I will dig out the trees and shrubs when they are small and sell or barter with them. I have made a nice side income dong this. I use bigger small tree for posts, trellises, wood crafts or sell to people who do crafts. I also use the small twigs and leaves for mulch or compost. There is no waste of a tree when I am done. Selling your small trees or giving them to someone else to plant would be your way to validate cutting a tree - you gave or saved saplings for someone else to plant

You can also plant what is referred to as chop and drop trees. Trees that grow quickly but you keep them cut back and use the cutting for mulch, small firewood or animal food, These trees are usually picked for ones that add nitrogen to the soil and make it better or to hold soil in place if you have erosion issues. I use trees for both reasons on this property.

Always so much to plan and think about

• Monek Marie

@marcy_northlightsfarm

In my duck enclosure (they have to be locked up at night for their protection) I have a gutter that leads to a very small pond area for the ducks to enjoy. I can drain this or reroute it so that any muddy poopy water will flow into my berry bushes. I have thought about setting it up top fertilize my garden areas.

Love your wooden box area. I have been thinking of something along that area to protect my water source in cold weather. Deep littel bed helps the chickens if ther water source is inside

I was actually thinking of a small somewhat mini greenhouse attachment that would keep their water warm and let them be out on those really cold winter days.

Its alwasy experimenting on the property to see what might work