garden fruits

Monek Marie
Monek Marie Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2021 in Fruit

Has anyone grown vine peach (an old native small fruit) or huckleberries in their gardens?

The vine peach are rather an interesting fruit. Slow to grow and not as tasty as some but they make the best jams and jellies.

I have heard huckleberries are a bit tart but have not tried them.

Ground cherries are also a great fruit in a garden area. Mine will reseed in my zone 5B climate.

What other fruits do you grow in a garden area?

Comments

• Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

I love ground cherries! They come back every year! I always grow those and a wide variety of melons. This year I’m in a climate conducive to watermelon so that will be an exciting first for me. I’ll have to look up vine peaches. I do remember picking gooseberries as a child and thinking they were a miracle. 😊

• dottile46
    dottile46 Posts: 437 ✭✭✭

Watching this thread. I've thought about vine peaches but with the deer here not sure they would be a go for us. Gooseberries are awesome!

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,402 admin

I am trying to figure out a place to put strawberries where they won't get too much water (which they do if they are in the garden cause everything gets watered by overhead sprinklers) and where they will be out of reach of the gophers.

I have 4 haskap bushes in my garden and a tayberry which needs to be moved. I have a red currant, a black currant and a gooseberry bush on the outside of the garden fence. I bought a ligonberry this past year and plan to add several more. They are awesome perennial plants that don't take up too much room.

I'm afraid I have too short of a growing season for ground cherries or garden huckleberries. But I have true huckleberries and wild blueberries growing in my area. I haven't done raspberries as there are farms in the area that grow them. I would like to try blackberries this year.

I have two apples trees, a cherry tree and 4 shrub cherries but I guess they aren't really garden plants.

Melons are not something I have tried because of our climate. But there are a few local growers that are trying to push the envelope with several kinds of melons.

I am very curious about vine peach. Never heard of it before. Does anyone have the Latin name? Or where are you that this plant is native?

• Monek Marie

@torey

vine peach https://thegardenersrake.com/how-to-grow-peach-vine-fruit-in-your-garden

small clip for burgess

The same size, color and food value as tree peaches. Vine Peaches make excellent preserves and pies, and have a vine-ripe flavor and texture much like a mango. It's an easy plant to grow, with fruit maturing on spreading vines in about 80 days.

Planting guide: Plant after danger of frost in hills 4 to 6 feet apart. Plant seed not over 1/2 inch deep 4 to 6 to the hill, pressing soil firmly over them. When plants are well established thin to 3 to each hill. Seed can also be started indoors for an earlier harvest.

These items are useful when starting seeds indoors for transplanting:

I am a zone 5B. I can start them outdoors but for a stronger plant I start indoors. Its unique.

Im know it did grow around here in the wild a hundred years ago but as land was cleared it was also cleared

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

I grew huckleberries and ground cherries for the first time in 3020.

The huckleberries were hard to get started, so out of a packet of seeds I managed to get one plant to survive and be transplanted outdoors. The plant grew fine and produced a few berries. I'm optimistic it will grow better this year since it's already rooted.

Ground cherries did better, but I made the mistake of planting them under the tomatoes. Bad idea. Ground cherries produce fruit quite late in the season, and by that time the tomato vines had sprawled over them. The ground cherries would have done much better in their own bed.

I saved seeds from the ground cherries and will try to grow them again.

My huckleberries were not very sweet, and would probably work better in pies or jam than eaten fresh. They weren't sour, just mild.

On the other hand, the ground cherries were intensely sweet and fruity. If you've tried gooseberries from the store and found them bitter, well, don't judge home-ripened ground cherries by that taste. The home-grown ones are delicious fresh and I hope to grow enough this year to make jam

I need a bigger garden, but between shade, heavy clay, and spousal resistance I am limited.

• Monek Marie

@VermontCathy I have heard huckleberries were not as sweet but I still want to give them a try. I have to look for seed sources.

Ground cherries are so good. In my zone they will come back from any fruit that fell and you did not notice. They are definitely a keeper

• VermontCathy

Both my huckleberry and ground cherry seeds came from Baker Creek.

• Monek Marie

@VermontCathy I am set for ground cherry seeds but I really want to try the huckleberries, Thanks for the heads up

• marcy_northlightsfarm
    marcy_northlightsfarm Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

I grow several varieties of raspberries including ever-bearing, currents, strawberries, and some wild black caps. I'm waiting for my blueberries to get big enough to produce. I have tried muskmelons and watermelons but I have a problem with picnic beetles and they usually get the melons before I do.

• Monek Marie

@marcy_northlightsfarm I haven't had much luck with watermelon or muskmelons. I need a short season variety and more fertilizer.

I have heard consistent watering is a huge help. I think I will try growing them on a pallet garden

I had top look up picnic beetles. I have never had a problem with them. Here's a few suggestions for control

I like combination planting to help control insects

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

@Denise Grant I growing melons for the first time this year!

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,481 admin
    edited January 2021

@Denise Grant where I live in Australia, the climate isn’t cold enough for the likes of cherries, berries etc and the humidity is no good for stone fruit. So in our orchard we have mainly citrus, lemon, lime, navel orange and ruby red grapefruit. To that we have added, mango, lychee, avocado, blueberries and macadamia. Around the base of the trees in the poo and the mulch, I grow herbs like, comfrey, dandelion, nasturtium and mint.

• Sharie
    Sharie Posts: 276 ✭✭✭

@Denise Grant

Where do you buy the ground peach? Sounds amazing. I can't grow peaches here. I buy a can now and again lol.

I have orange trees, coffee berries, strawberries and am attempting to grow ground cherries, my favorite berry but not having a lot of luck. I finally got about 6 of them to sprout and now they are blossoming with only 2 sets of leaves. I grew some before and they only got to about 8 inches tall but produced well while they were alive.

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

I love looking at the variety of things I don't know, or never heard of, from all my TGN friends. Vine peaches, macadamias growing in Australia, ground cherries (that I can't eat because they are a nightshade) and so many other yummy garden treats. I also love to hear that, like me, not everyone can grow everything with 100% success.

• Monek Marie

@frogvalley

I teach a lot of classes on gardening and garden related topics. I always tell anyone, "In order to be a good gardener you have to kill a lot of plants" I still kill plants and there are certain things I cannot grow - no matter how many times I have tried.

• Monek Marie

@Sharie

Burgess, has Peach vine, so does Baker creek and ebay or amazon.

I am oreding more in this year and will have a few seeds to spare. Usually I save seed from year to year but last year being as odd as it was I did not plant certain things or they suffered.

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

We grow currents as well; they are scrumptious. My sister or Mom has tried the huckleberries. And I'm off to look up the peach vine. Thank you, all!

• Monek Marie

@Annie Kate I rescued current bushes out of the side field. They were in the Electric power right of way and would have been butchered down.

Any fruit you can grow on your property and know how it was grown is a huge plus!

• VermontCathy

@Denise Grant Melons of all types love heat. If you live where you need short season varieties, melons are probably not the ideal crop for you. Of course, it never hurts to experiment.

Have you tried squash?

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,402 admin

I just wanted to clarify the difference between huckleberries here in case there are newbies to gardening who don't realise there is a difference.

Garden huckleberries (Solanum melanocerseracium) are in the Solanaceae family. They are an annual grown similarly to tomatoes. The fruit is black when ripe and shouldn't be consumed until fully ripe. Best after a frost.

Huckleberry species (Vaccinium species) are perennial, woody shrubs in the Ericaceae family (along with blueberries, cranberries, etc.). There are several species in my part of the world. Mostly black but there is one red fruited species. All are absolutely delicious.

• Monek Marie

Garden huckleberries have a much different taste and in my opinion best for jams and pies. I am glad @torey pointed that out as they are very different. You either like garden huckleberries or don't.

• Sharie
    Sharie Posts: 276 ✭✭✭

Looks interesting. I might have to try it! I have way too many seeds now. 😱

• VermontCathy

@Sharie "I might have to try it! I have way too many seeds now."

You can never have too many seeds. 😉

• MissPatricia
    MissPatricia Posts: 308 ✭✭✭

Vine peaches sound interesting. I may try them. I have 3 blackberry bushes that I put in last year. In another spot I have several raspberry plants and in yet another place, I have strawberries. None of these are grown in my garden, In my garden I might grow melons and watermelons. I have blueberry bushes in two different locations. They are my most successful fruit although the raspberry bushes produced nicely for young plants. I also have fruit trees: apples, pear, plum, fig, apricot, and 2 dwarf trees that have several types on each. One has 3 varieties of peach; the other has plum/apricot/nectarine, I think.

• MissPatricia
    MissPatricia Posts: 308 ✭✭✭

Also planted elderberry and several varieties of grapes.

• Thomas
    Thomas Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

Wow, that sounds cool!

• lewis.mary.e
    lewis.mary.e Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

We've grown ground cherries for years, but I have developed a distaste for them. They taste like pineapple and tomato mixed together, and it's weird to me.

We also have some currant plants the previous owner put in, but I don't know what variety they are. Luckily I have a friend who should be able to identify them this summer.

• Monek Marie

I ordered my Baker Creek order yesterday and it was shipped this morning. Four things were out of stock but I ordered odd things so Its not too disappointing.

I added to my garden fruit this year.Litchi berry, New Hanover Ground Cherry, Kiwana Rund Jelly Melon, Chichquelite Huckleberry.

The chinese python snake bean can also be used as fruit.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,215 admin

I grew garden huckleberry one year @torey. Never again. They produced well and I was excited to try them, having just been introduced to the shrub type, but was very disappointed. I really didn'tknow much about any huckleberry at the time.

I like the bush variety of huckleberry much, much better. As you say, they are very different and a person shouldn't equate the flavor one to the other.

Unfortunately, we are out of the area that grows the huckleberry shrub. We have chokecherries & saskatoons growing naturally, but very sadly, no huckleberries. 🙁

• Monek Marie
    edited February 2022

@LaurieLovesLearning The huckleberry I chose is supposed to be a variety with a better taste. I know a few varieties are not that good. I will know at the end of the season if its worth growing. I also know a few people that gre huckleberries and would never do it again.

With this economy I want to be able to produce as many fruits as I can.