Buying Priorities & Habits in 2020

Lisa K
Lisa K Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

As I was putting away a new cast iron pan I got today it got me thinking about how my buying priorities and habits changed in 2020. Last year I got more things to preserve food (mason jars and new lids, etc.), cast iron pans (I love the way they cook and how they are said to be more healthy), classes (now that I have time to take them), dried herbs for my apothecary (until some of my plants get going) and seeds (99.99% edibles).The two big ticket items I am still planning on getting is a sewing machine and a stand-alone freezer (mine is about to go out). Has anything changed for you?

Tagged:

Comments

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lisa K I haven't necessarily bought anything as of yet this year. But I know that my thinking of purchasing has changed for sure. I question whether or not it's important and will help me with the way the world is currently and looks like it will be for the time being.

I am being more intentional in my thinking of more long term in regards to everything. I did ask my husband for some hiking/work boots so I can use them in the yard and gardens but also as I try my hand at foraging. I'd like some better foot and ankle protection. My birthday is in a little over a week.😉

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy upcoming Birthday @JennyT 🍰

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

I have been planning in putting in a forest garden and getting more perennial gardens into my garden areas

I have ordered what I cannot forage in trees and bushes. In later february or march I will start clippings for trees and shrubs and in March I will go out foraging for other shrubs and trees. I know where pecan (Shagbark in Pa) trees, elderberries, hazelnut, ground nut, gooseberry are. I also have friends with thornless blackberry , black raspberry and raspberry bushes. I can take clipping for blueberries.

My neighbor also has hawthorne I can take what I want

I was thinking of going back to cast iron. We grew up using it but when the promise of stick free pans came along we went that route - not a wise move .

I plan to use more from the land and create more income from the property.

This year its more build the land up and spend as little as possible by saving here and spending carefully there.

@JennyT You will love foraging. Its so relaxing and a time to reconnect with nature

I also want to simplify life and enjoy more of what surrounds me.

That's amazing what you have access to through friends and neighbors. 😲 And what you're doing is exactly what I want to do when we sell our house we're in currently and buy land, if we can find some here in Northern South Carolina. We hope to have the house up for sale this spring(March), which makes planning and planting difficult this year.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JennyT If you have a little extra space for starting perennials that will move or collecting trees and shrubs you can do that.

I have a holding garden area, very small, that I use for holding plants over or the plants and items I want to trade.

I get a lot of my leads on plants by just talking to people. One lady had to pull out Redbud trees. I offered to do it. I love Redbud trees! One lady needed her gardens downsized and she had beautiful plants. Again, I offered to help. I got a ton of plants to use, trade and sell

Thank you. I'll consider that too. I did use to do landscaping, before children. Granted this was when I lived in FL so many of the plants in SC are different but I need to get to know them better. And doing what you suggested would definitely help with that.😊